* unknown file gnus/etc/images/gnus/x-splash
@ 2007-06-04 12:58 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-04 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Gnus,

I found an unknown file in both the gnus source dir and the installed
dir, that is gnus/etc/images/gnus/x-splash. What's the use of that file?

Thanks,

* Re: unknown file gnus/etc/images/gnus/x-splash
@ 2007-06-04 23:45 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-04 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I found an unknown file in both the gnus source dir and the installed
> dir, that is gnus/etc/images/gnus/x-splash. What's the use of that file?

That is an image file used for Emacsen that has no images
support.  The data are bitmap pattern used as a stipple face.
This is technically excellent and arouses my curiosity.

Though it or the program seems to be broken[1], you can see the
image somehow or other even if you use Emacs having the new
display engine.  If you have the /some/where/x-splash file, try
evaluating this form:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 289 bytes --]

[1] I'd like to fix it some day.

* Re: unknown file gnus/etc/images/gnus/x-splash
@ 2007-06-04 23:56   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-04 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2007-06-07 11:59     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-07 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> ----- Katsumi Yamaoka (2007-06-05) wrote:-----

>> That is an image file used for Emacsen that has no images
>> support.  The data are bitmap pattern used as a stipple face.

I've improved the function for displaying the x-splash image.
Try `M-x gnus-x-splash' (after updating your No Gnus, and if you
have an interest in it, of course ;-).  If you wish to display
this image when starting up Gnus, use the following in your
~/.emacs , not ~/.gnus.el, file:

(setq gnus-inhibit-startup-message t)
(add-hook 'gnus-before-startup-hook
	  (lambda nil (setq gnus-simple-splash t)))

Note that it doesn't display the image correctly if an Emacs
frame is split horizontally and it is done in the right side of
the windows.

A stipple bitmap is tiled on the whole area of an Emacs frame.
It always starts at the leftmost and the topmost position of a
frame, and we can only choose one among them.  What the function
mainly does is to calculate the position of a slot precisely.

Regards,

* Re: unknown file gnus/etc/images/gnus/x-splash
@ 2007-06-07 12:41       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

----- Katsumi Yamaoka (2007-06-07) wrote:-----

> I've improved the function for displaying the x-splash image.
> Try `M-x gnus-x-splash' (after updating your No Gnus, and if you
> have an interest in it, of course ;-).  If you wish to display
> this image when starting up Gnus, use the following in your
> ~/.emacs , not ~/.gnus.el, file:

Although that should not do anything when running in terminal, I try it
in 'emacs -nw' and it appears to hang Emacs. Does anyone else see this
problem?

* Re: unknown file gnus/etc/images/gnus/x-splash
@ 2007-06-07 15:08         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-07 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> ----- Katsumi Yamaoka (2007-06-07) wrote:-----

>> I've improved the function for displaying the x-splash image.

> Although that should not do anything when running in terminal, I try it
> in 'emacs -nw' and it appears to hang Emacs. Does anyone else see this
> problem?

That does not indeed work with a terminal.  But is safe since in
gnus-start.el it is protected as follows:

     (cond
       ((featurep 'xemacs)
	(gnus-xmas-splash))
       (window-system