* Improve behavior of exiting ephemeral groups
@ 2006-05-12  6:18 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-05-12  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Type `C-d' on a digest article, read dissected articles in the
nndoc group, type `q', then Gnus still shows the article which I
read last in the nndoc group.  There's a comment in the
`gnus-handle-ephemeral-exit' function:

	  ;; The current article may be from the ephemeral group
	  ;; thus it is best that we reload this article
	  ;;
	  ;; If we're exiting from a large digest, this can be
	  ;; extremely slow.  So, it's better not to reload it. -- jh.

I agree to the first paragraph, so I've made changes in the trunk
so that Gnus might behave like that.  But reloading the parent
article doesn't take place, because I made it use another article
buffer in the ephemeral group.  After typing `q', Gnus simply
shows the parent article that has been made before entering the
nndoc group.

By this change, now `gnus-single-article-buffer' is made
buffer-local and has the nil value in the ephemeral group.  In
addition to this, the variables `gnus-article-buffer',
`gnus-article-current', and `gnus-original-article-buffer' are
always made buffer-local in the summary buffer regardless of the
value of `gnus-single-article-buffer'.  Of course the values of
those three variables can also be referred to globally as before
in buffers other than the summary buffer which is currently
focused.

Regards,

* Re: Improve behavior of exiting ephemeral groups
@ 2006-07-19  9:08 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-07-19  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I noticed the side effects of the change that I made in the
trunk causes a problem.

2006-05-12  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>

	* gnus-art.el (gnus-article-setup-buffer): Go to summary buffer
	first to test gnus-single-article-buffer which may be buffer-local.

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-setup-buffer): Make
	gnus-single-article-buffer buffer-local and nil in ephemeral
	group; make gnus-article-buffer, gnus-article-current, and
	gnus-original-article-buffer always buffer-local.
	(gnus-summary-exit): Kill article buffer belonging to ephemeral
	group.
	(gnus-handle-ephemeral-exit): Don't move to next summary line.

(cf. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/63193)

When I read an article in a normal group just after reading an
article in an ephemeral group[1], it is not decoded by charset.
To be exact, the article buffer for that ephemeral group is
created again and `gnus-article-decode-hook' is performed there.
Fixed in the CVS trunk.

[1] It doesn't happen after reading the ephemeral group which is
created by `gnus-summary-enter-digest-group' but happens after
reading a foreign group using `gnus-group-browse-foreign-server',
etc.