From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org>
Cc: "Gabor Z. Papp" <gzp@papp.hu>, ding@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Top posting related changes in the cvs
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:15:00 +0900	[thread overview]

> () Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
> () Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:40:40 +0900

>            * message.el (message-yank-original):
>            Don't exchange point and mark.

>    I also removed the `(unless (< (point) (mark-marker)) ...)' test
>    since I think it will never return nil.

> i have no opinion on No Gnus, just on the Gnus distributed w/ Emacs
> (that i can play around with (and break, apparently)).

Thank you for leaving it to me.

> On Mon, Apr 09 2007, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> I'm not sure if I understand correctly.  Are you saying we need this
> patch in addition to the current code in Emacs (i.e. Gnus v5.11;
> lisp/gnus/message.el rev. 1.117)?

The code I modified is for making sure that the yanked text ends
with a newline.  The present one indeed has the code

      (unless (bolp)
	(insert ?\n))

, which works only if the point is at the end of yanked text by
performing `message-exchange-point-and-mark'.  However, Thien-Thi
Nguyen's change made `message-exchange-point-and-mark' become not
to be used usually (so I'm going to remove it).

> If so, we should install it ASAP so that it gets more testing before
> and during the next (final?) pretest.

> Are you sure about the use of `(insert ?\n)' vs. `(newline)',
> i.e. soft or hard newline?  (I'm not sure; that's why I ask. :-))

> ,----[ <f1> f newline RET ]
>| newline is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
>| It is bound to RET.
>| (newline &optional arg)
>|
>| Insert a newline, and move to left margin of the new line if it's blank.
>| If `use-hard-newlines' is non-nil, the newline is marked with the
>| text-property `hard'.
>| With arg, insert that many newlines.
>| Call `auto-fill-function' if the current column number is greater
>| than the value of `fill-column' and arg is nil.
> `----

Thanks for clarifying it.  Though I'm not still sure why `newline',
not `(insert ?\n)', is used in the No Gnus version.

      (if message-cite-reply-above
	  (progn
	    (message-goto-body)
	    (insert body-text)
	    (newline)
	    (message-goto-body)

I think it is worth to use `newline' if it is the last function
in a Lisp command to determine the cursor position and it is in
the middle of a paragraph.  However, `newline' used there does
not seem to apply to such a case.  So, I'll modify the following
part of my patch

      (when message-cite-reply-above
	(message-goto-body)
	(insert body-text)
	(unless (bolp)
	  (insert ?\n))
	(newline)
	(message-goto-body))

into:

      (when message-cite-reply-above
	(message-goto-body)
	(insert body-text)
	(insert (if (bolp) "\n" "\n\n"))
	(message-goto-body))

Anyway, we have plentiful time to test it because it is in only
No Gnus. :)

Regards,