* Avoiding compiler warnings (was: Changes committed gnus/lisp (6 files))
       [not found] <E1IzjR8-0001ME-00@quimby.gnus.org>
@ 2007-12-05 20:10 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-12-05 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Dec 05 2007, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote on ding-patches:

> * gnus-art.el (gnus-use-idna): Don't directly refer to the value of
>  idna-program in order to suppress byte compile warning issued by XEmacs that
>  came to byte compile the default value section of defcustom forms recently.
> * gnus-start.el (gnus-site-init-file): Don't directly refer to the value of
>  installation-directory.
> * message.el (message-use-idna): Don't directly refer to the value of
>  idna-program.
> * mm-uu.el (mm-uu-hide-markers): Don't directly call defined-colors.
> * smiley.el (smiley-style): Don't directly call face-attribute.
[...]
> -			      (executable-find idna-program))
> +			      (executable-find (symbol-value 'idna-program)))
> -	       (directory-file-name installation-directory))
> +	       (directory-file-name (symbol-value 'installation-directory)))
> -				 (executable-find idna-program)
> +				 (executable-find (symbol-value 'idna-program))
> -		 (length (defined-colors)))
> +		 (length (eval '(defined-colors))))
> -	       (>= (face-attribute 'default :height) 160))
> +	       (>= (eval '(face-attribute 'default :height)) 160))

Hm, IIRC last time we discussed this on emacs-devel, we decided not
to obscurify the code for the sake of calming the byte compiler.

Additionally...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Emacs/XEmacs Code") ]
|    This means that Gnus will byte-compile under Emacs with nary a
| warning, while XEmacs will pump out gigabytes of warnings while
| byte-compiling.  [...]
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Avoiding compiler warnings
@ 2007-12-05 23:25   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-12-05 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Wed, Dec 05 2007, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote on ding-patches:
[...]
>> -			      (executable-find idna-program))
>> +			      (executable-find (symbol-value 'idna-program)))
>> -	       (directory-file-name installation-directory))
>> +	       (directory-file-name (symbol-value 'installation-directory)))
[...]

> Hm, IIRC last time we discussed this on emacs-devel, we decided not
> to obscurify the code for the sake of calming the byte compiler.

Agreed.  To lower the performance is not my real intention, so
I'll make those changes revert.

> Additionally...

> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Emacs/XEmacs Code") ]
>|    This means that Gnus will byte-compile under Emacs with nary a
>| warning, while XEmacs will pump out gigabytes of warnings while
>| byte-compiling.  [...]
> `----

This follows:
,----
|                  As I use byte-compilation warnings to help me root out
| trivial errors in Gnus, that's very useful.
`----

That byte-compilation doesn't report on harmless things is also
useful at least for me.  I do `make' with all versions of Emacsen
that Gnus supports whenever a change has been made in Gnus, and
check the source code if the byte compiler issues a warning.
Though no-warning doesn't mean there's no problem of course, it
is useful for such a work.  Is it acceptable to do things to
suppress warnings at lpath,el and dgnushack.el?

* Re: Avoiding compiler warnings
@ 2007-12-07  4:34     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-12-07  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding