From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus asking for key twice
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 19:00:54 +0900	[thread overview]

Adam wrote:
> Adam <adam_w67@yahoo.com> writes:

>>> Whenever I send a signed mail which has a Gcc'ed header pointing to my
>>> archive group, I am asked to select the sign key twice - once before
>>> connecting to my smtp server, and once after actually sending the mail.
>>> mm-sign-option is set to guided.  When there is no Gcc header, I am only
>>> asked once.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug or a feature?
>>
>> I investigated.  gnus-inews-do-gcc is calling
>> message-encode-message-body, which internally triggers the key
>> selection dialogue.  This looks like a real design flaw to me.  Gnus
>> should encode the message only once, and preserve the result.

> The easiest solution is to add a new hook.  It should be called in
> messages-send-mail right after the message has been dispatched to the
> server, with the current buffer being the actual message buffer that has
> been sent.  Gnus then should add gnus-inews-do-gcc to this hook, and use
> the processed buffer to save.

> Do I sound reasonable?  Whats a good name for such a new hook?

A sent message and Gcc'd one are not exactly the same.  AFAICT,
the Gcc header remains in a Gcc copy but is deleted in the one
sent.  Maybe there are other differences besides I cannot recall.
So, we will have to verify all the message sending functions and
situations in order to make such a change, I think.

How about making the expiry time of the passphrase cache longer?
The `mml-secure-passphrase-cache-expiry' controls it; the default
value might be too short.  If you want to try changing it briefly
where mml2015.elc has already been loaded, you'll need to change
`mml2015-passphrase-cache-expiry' instead (it inherits the value
of `mml-secure-passphrase-cache-expiry' as the default value).