* M-x gnus-no-server causes error in opening nnml folders
@ 2008-03-31  7:37 Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-03-31  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

No Gnus v0.7
GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE
200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.1 ready (posting ok).

If I launch no-server,I'm not able to enter nnml mail folders but it
works fine if I just do M-x gnus.  No idea why.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument consp nil)
  gnus-agent-possibly-alter-active("sas-l" nil ("sas-l" 3 ((1 . 126)) ((seen ...) (tick 5)) nil ((total-expire . t) (expiry-wait . 10))))
  gnus-select-newsgroup("sas-l" nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("sas-l" nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("sas-l" nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group)

[-- Attachment #2: User settings --]

 sivaram

* Re: M-x gnus-no-server causes error in opening nnml folders
@ 2008-04-01  1:30 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-04-01  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: ding

> No Gnus v0.7
> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE
> 200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.1 ready (posting ok).

> If I launch no-server,I'm not able to enter nnml mail folders but it
> works fine if I just do M-x gnus.  No idea why.

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument consp nil)
>   gnus-agent-possibly-alter-active("sas-l" nil ("sas-l" 3 ((1 . 126)) ((seen ...) (tick 5)) nil ((total-expire . t) (expiry-wait . 10))))
>   gnus-select-newsgroup("sas-l" nil nil)
>   gnus-summary-read-group-1("sas-l" nil t nil nil nil)
>   gnus-summary-read-group("sas-l" nil t nil nil nil nil)
>   gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
>   gnus-group-select-group(nil)
>   gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group)

> ------------------ Environment follows ------------------
[...]
> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nnml ""))

The backtrace says that the active data for the sas-l group is
nil, it means the group has not been activated.  It will probably
be because the group level for the sas-l group is 3, although you
use `gnus-no-server':

,---- (info "(gnus)The Server is Down") ----
|                               it will just activate all groups on level
| 1 and 2.  (You should preferably keep no native groups on those two
| levels.) Also *note (info "(gnus)Group Levels").
`----

Furthermore, it will also be one of the causes that the topic
mode shows even the groups that have not been activated (bug?).
Maybe the solution is:

,---- (info "(gnus)Group Levels") ----
| `S l'
|      Set the level of the current group.  If a numeric prefix is given,
|      the next N groups will have their levels set.  The user will be
|      prompted for a level.
`----

Otherwise you can use `M-3 M-x gnus' (`M-3' means `Meta 3', which
can be replaced with `C-u 3' or `ESC 3').

BTW, `M-2 M-x gnus' is similar to `M-x gnus-no-server', but the
former doesn't modify the value of the variable
`gnus-group-use-permanent-levels' while the later does.  I like
the former.

Regards,

* Re: M-x gnus-no-server causes error in opening nnml folders
@ 2008-04-01 10:23   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-04-01 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> [...]

[...]

> Furthermore, it will also be one of the causes that the topic
> mode shows even the groups that have not been activated (bug?).
> Maybe the solution is:
>
> ,---- (info "(gnus)Group Levels") ----
> | `S l'
> |      Set the level of the current group.  If a numeric prefix is given,
> |      the next N groups will have their levels set.  The user will be
> |      prompted for a level.
> `----

Well, that fixed it. But now I have the problem that it does try to
access the mailserver when I set the level to 2.  Sometimes I just want
offline access to the mailbox.  gnus-no-server was intuitive except
for the frightening error. :) Really, for a minute I thought the nnml
mail folder was a goner.

At least, can there be a graceful "no" instead of an error like that?

> Otherwise you can use `M-3 M-x gnus' (`M-3' means `Meta 3', which
> can be replaced with `C-u 3' or `ESC 3').

That's not the easiest thing to hit to get offline access is it? :)
 Granted, anything Gnus and easiest do not sit well on the same
 sentence.

*ducks

@ 2008-04-02  2:27     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-04-02  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>> ,---- (info "(gnus)Group Levels") ----
>>| `S l'
>>|      Set the level of the current group.  If a numeric prefix is given,

> Well, that fixed it. But now I have the problem that it does try to
> access the mailserver when I set the level to 2.  Sometimes I just want
> offline access to the mailbox.  gnus-no-server was intuitive except
> for the frightening error. :) Really, for a minute I thought the nnml
> mail folder was a goner.

> At least, can there be a graceful "no" instead of an error like that?

Maybe `gnus-unplugged' is for you.

,---- (info "(gnus)Agent Basics") ----
| [...]
| * You start Gnus with `gnus-unplugged'.  This brings up the Gnus
|   Agent in a disconnected state.  You can read all the news that you
|   have already fetched while in this mode.
|
| * You then decide to see whether any new news has arrived.  You
|   connect your machine to the net (using PPP or whatever), and then
|   hit `J j' to make Gnus become "plugged" and use `g' to check for
|   new mail as usual.  To check for new mail in unplugged mode (*note
|   Mail Source Specifiers::).
| [...]
`----

I don't use it, but verified with a new temporary user account
that `gnus-unplugged' doesn't connect to the mail source.