Hi, The new function `format-seconds' that time-date.el in the Gnus CVS trunk provides now uses the `assoc-string' function, which is not available in Emacs 21 and XEmacs. While compiling the end of the data in file gnus/lisp/time-date.el: ** The function `assoc-string' is not known to be defined. Wrote /tmp/.yamaoka/gnus/lisp/time-date.elc It is not really a problem because Gnus currently does not use `format-seconds', however someone might use it in the future somewhere in Gnus. What do you think we should do now? 1. Provide `time-date-assoc-string' in time-date.el in both the Emacs trunk and the Gnus trunk, and make `format-seconds' use it. The function definition of `time-date-assoc-string' is attached below. 2. Similar to 1. but do it in only the Gnus trunk. 3. Replace `assoc-string' with `gnus-assoc-string' in time-date.el when compiling Gnus. It does not need to modify time-date.el and I verified it can be done. However it seems to be risky. (It is to make dgnushack.el provide the `assoc-string' macro which uses `gnus-assoc-string' provided in gnus-util.el .) 4. Do nothing, but don't use `format-seconds' in Gnus from now on.