From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: several issues with non ascii characters in group names
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 19:56:57 +0900	[thread overview]

Peter Münster wrote:
>>> 2.) Several entries in server buffer for the same group
>>
>>> For the group "stéphane" for example, I have these lines in the server
>>> buffer:
>>
>> *Group* buffer?

> No. The *Gnus Browse Server* {nnml:Email} buffer. This never happens in
> the group buffer.

Ah, I see (I rarely see nnml's server, so I didn't think of it).

>>> U      8: stéphane
>>> U      1: stéphane
>>> U      1: stéphane
>>> U     10: stéphane
>>
>>> Not a big problem, just strange.
>>
>> I guess you have those four groups; in `active', the human-readable
>> names are the same but encodings differ.

> Yes. I have these lines in the active file:
> stéphane 10 1 y
> stéphane 1 1 y
> stéphane 1 1 y
> stéphane 8 1 y

> But encodings don't differ: everything is utf-8.

Hmm.  I've ever faced it in the past, though I don't recall how
they were made.  But this should be why the server buffer list
those four.

>> A possible solution would be to copy all the existing articles to a
>> temporary group, delete those non-ASCII groups, create the non-ASCII
>> group again, and move the saved articles there.

> How? Just "cp stéphane/* tmp" ?

It will do, but you'll need to run
`M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory RET DIR_NAME RET'
after restoring the articles in the *new* stéphane group.
Instead, doing `B c' or `B m' in the summary buffer seems better.
As for deleting those duplicate groups, I'm not sure `G DEL' does
work as expected, though (you might have to edit manually active,
and .newsrc.eld :<).

> Some further information:

> - After restarting Gnus, I've seen all 10 messages in the summary
>   buffer. But later, when creating the summary buffer once again, there
>   were only 8 messages

> - It happens *always* with every group that has accented characters.
>   Other examples from the *Gnus Browse Server* buffer:

> U      7: jérôme
> U      3: jérôme
> U      2: jérôme
> U      4: jérôme
> U      4: jérôme
> U      5: jérôme
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U      3: jürgen
> U     19: valérie
> U     12: valérie
> U      7: valérie
> U     13: valérie
> U     13: valérie
> U     18: valérie

Oh, that's too bad.

>>> 3.) Some messages are not displayed in summary buffer
>>
>>> For example in my group "stéphane" there are 10 messages. There are also
>>> 10 lines in the Mail/stéphane/.overview file, but only 8 are displayed
>>> in the summary buffer. How can I see the other 2 messages in Gnus?
>>
>> Does typing `10000 RET' on that group help?

> No... :(

Anyway I'd like to know what happens after re-creating those groups.
Good luck.