Dave Abrahams wrote: > I'm not sure why sending is failing either ... but the big mystery here > is why Gnus/message would decompress the archive. > Sending... > XZ uncompressing /tmp/YAC2011.mov.xz...done > Sending via mail... > message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed with exit value 75 Hm, I don't know why it failed. But decompression should not be to blame. Decompressed data are never passed to m-s-m-w-sendmail. Decompression is done for only determining the charset of a compressed part; the charset is added to the Content-Type header of a part if successfully detected. This is mainly for Gnus users' convenience. Try viewing the part attached to this message using the `i' command. (A Japanese text will be displayed in a human-readable way in spite of the part that is charset-encoded and compressed. This is convenient when viewing a compressed patch file that contains non-ASCII text and is sent as an application/octet-stream part, for example. Currently only tar archives are excluded from detecting charset.) You may want to try another approach. Good luck.