* Re: Gnus Problems with latest Emacs Snapshot
       [not found] ` <874padbvmi.fsf@hillenius.net>
@ 2008-04-08  2:55   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-04-08  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: info-gnus-english, ding, emacs-devel

> I find emacs-cvs could (..) also have caused errors in x-face (does
> not work out of the box anymore). But that is minor.

It's due to this change in the Emacs trunk:

2008-04-05  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
[...]
	* gnus-fun.el (gnus-display-x-face-in-from): Remove unnecessary use of
	default-enable-multibyte-characters.

I think it is the right thing but it causes the `uncompface' function,
which `gnus-display-x-face-in-from' calls, to generate a multibyte
temp buffer and to break binary data that the external icontopbm
program generates.  I've fixed it in the Emacs trunk so as to make
that temp buffer unibyte as follows:

*** compface.el~	Tue Jan  8 21:51:25 2008
--- compface.el	Tue Apr  8 02:53:53 2008
***************
  GNU/Linux system these might be in packages with names like `compface'
  or `faces-xface' and `netpbm' or `libgr-progs', for instance."
    (with-temp-buffer
+     (unless (featurep 'xemacs) (set-buffer-multibyte nil))
      (insert face)
      (let ((coding-system-for-read 'raw-text)
  	  ;; At least "icontopbm" doesn't work with Windows because

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-04-08  2:55 UTC | newest]