From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Make nnrss fail gracefully when it can't fetch a feed
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:49:47 +0900	[thread overview]

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>> -	  (mm-url-insert url)))
>>> +          (condition-case nil
>>> +              (mm-url-insert url)
>>> +            (error (nnheader-message 3 "nnrss: Failed to fetch %s" url)))))
>>
>> Isn't it better to use just `message' since it is obviously an
>> error?  And also (sit-for N) might be required.

I meant we can use `message' instead of `nnheader-message' there
as the following:

(condition-case nil
    (mm-url-insert url)
  (error (message "nnrss: Failed to fetch %s" url)))

I never said that we should use `error' instead of
`nnheader-message'.

> Hmm, maybe everybody isn't like me and there should be an option for error
> handling :)  I want a warning instead of an error because various feeds are
> often inaccessible for some reasons beyond my control.  As-is, Gnus stops
> checking groups as soon as nnrss has an error and I don't know an easy way
> to say "don't check group X this time around but check all the rest".

> Some folks might want an error so that they it's obvious they are missing a
> feed.  I'll notice if I haven't read a feed for a long time so a warning
> with no delay is best for me.

> A warning is also be better than an error (for me) if fetching feeds via
> a gnus-demon.

> I won't have time to work on this for a week or so.

>>> I don't know whether I used the right -message function.  What's the
>>> difference between nnheader-message and gnus-message?
>>
>> AFAIK, gnus- modules, mm- modules, nn- modules, and others are
>> mutually independent.  For example, there might be people who
>> use nn- modules for the application other than Gnus. (They
>> depend each other in practice, though.)

> So nnheader-message is a general message function for all backends?

Or `message' is, I think.

>> BTW, you'd better do the paper work for the copyright assignment
>> on Emacs (or Gnus) because the remainder of your `tiny change'
>> quota will be used up sooner or later. ;-)

> Ha!  Are there really separate papers for Gnus and Emacs?

AFAIK, a paper for Emacs applies to all that programs the Emacs
includes.