* Foreign server info?
@ 2004-06-30 20:18 David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2004-06-30 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where is it stored?  I created a foreign server to test a new IMAP
server at work.  Everything works fine, but they're changing some of
the host information so I want to edit the server to fix the address.
I enter the server buffer and type 'e' over the appropriate line.  I
get an error that I can't edit the server.  OK, fine, be that way, I
thought.  I'll just quit Gnus and edit .newsrc.eld by hand.  But I
don't see it defined there, nor do I see it defined anywhere else.
M-x apropos gnus didn't turn up anything obvious either.

Thanks for any help,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Foreign server info?
@ 2004-07-01  5:14 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-07-01  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I'm not familiar with nnimap, so I might be unable to help
you.  Here's only a generic information.

> Where is it stored?  I created a foreign server to test a new IMAP
> server at work.  Everything works fine, but they're changing some of
> the host information so I want to edit the server to fix the address.
> I enter the server buffer and type 'e' over the appropriate line.  I
> get an error that I can't edit the server.

If you create a new server by copying of it using the `c'
command, you will be able to edit it.  It is stored in the
gnus-server-alist variable and saved in the .newsrc.eld file.

> OK, fine, be that way, I
> thought.  I'll just quit Gnus and edit .newsrc.eld by hand.  But I
> don't see it defined there, nor do I see it defined anywhere else.
> M-x apropos gnus didn't turn up anything obvious either.

The server made using the B command in the Group buffer is
stored in gnus-opened-servers, but not in gnus-server-alist.
Only gnus-server-alist is stored in the .newsrc.eld file.  Even
so, the "nnimap+server:group" entry in gnus-newsrc-alist should
have the server information.  However, if you kill the group,
the server information will be lost eternally.

Otherwise, you can also specify a foreign server in the
gnus-secondary-select-methods variable (see the IMAP section in
the Gnus info manual).  You can edit it as you like, although it
cannot be edited in the Server buffer.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Foreign server info?
@ 2004-07-01 13:22   ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2004-07-01 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you create a new server by copying of it using the `c'
> command, you will be able to edit it.  It is stored in the
> gnus-server-alist variable and saved in the .newsrc.eld file.

I created it using the `a' command in the server buffer.  Perhaps I
should just `c' the existing one and work with the copy.  But it still
seems kind of magical that gnus seems to know the information without
having stored it anywhere :-)

Thanks,
--

@ 2004-07-01 14:38   ` Mark Plaksin
From: Mark Plaksin @ 2004-07-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> If you create a new server by copying of it using the `c'
> command, you will be able to edit it.  It is stored in the
> gnus-server-alist variable and saved in the .newsrc.eld file.

> The server made using the B command in the Group buffer is
> stored in gnus-opened-servers, but not in gnus-server-alist.
> Only gnus-server-alist is stored in the .newsrc.eld file.  Even
> so, the "nnimap+server:group" entry in gnus-newsrc-alist should
> have the server information.  However, if you kill the group,
> the server information will be lost eternally.

Do you know the reason for this difference?  I've been confused by this
before and never understood why there were two places/ways to store group
information.

When we changed the service name for our IMAP server, I ended editing
.newsrc.eld by hand.  The server name was in so many places that was the only
fast way to make the change.  I expected it to only be in one place.

I'm sure I'm missing something! :)

* Re: Foreign server info?
@ 2004-07-01 23:38     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-07-01 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> If you create a new server by copying of it using the `c'
>> command, you will be able to edit it.  It is stored in the
>> gnus-server-alist variable and saved in the .newsrc.eld file.

>> The server made using the B command in the Group buffer is
>> stored in gnus-opened-servers, but not in gnus-server-alist.
>> Only gnus-server-alist is stored in the .newsrc.eld file.  Even
>> so, the "nnimap+server:group" entry in gnus-newsrc-alist should
>> have the server information.  However, if you kill the group,
>> the server information will be lost eternally.

> Do you know the reason for this difference?  I've been confused by this
> before and never understood why there were two places/ways to store group
> information.

Although it is no better than a guess, it may have been sufficient
that each group had server information separately, in the ancient
times where using of foreign servers was not common.  Then, it may
have become the present style by adding various features.

> When we changed the service name for our IMAP server, I ended editing
> .newsrc.eld by hand.  The server name was in so many places that was the only
> fast way to make the change.  I expected it to only be in one place.

Oh, I've just done it!  Please see:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/57908

It is required that the server is being stored in gnus-server-alist.
When you edited the server in the Server buffer, the changes you
made will be propagated to all the foreign groups which use the
server.

Using gnus-secondary-select-methods is also a good choice.  In
that case, each foreign group entry in the .newsrc.eld file will
have a tag like "nnimap:server" which points to the full-spec of
the server defined in gnus-secondary-select-methods.
--

@ 2004-07-14 14:22     ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2004-07-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6 <at> verizon.net> writes:

> > If you create a new server by copying of it using the `c'
> > command, you will be able to edit it.  It is stored in the
> > gnus-server-alist variable and saved in the .newsrc.eld file.
>
> I created it using the `a' command in the server buffer.  Perhaps I
> should just `c' the existing one and work with the copy.  But it still
> seems kind of magical that gnus seems to know the information without
> having stored it anywhere
>
> Thanks,

Just to close the case.  It turns out that there is some magic, after all, but
it was living in the particular DNS server I was hitting.  Looking a bit deeper,
I found that the information stored in .newsrc.eld, which looks like
nnimap:server will work provided that "server" can be resolved and everything
else is default.  In my case, I thought that shouldn't work because the host I
specified for server is actually in a DNS subdomain and according to most of the
DNS servers at work, the name server.foo.org doesn't resolve.  However it turns
out I got lucky.  The DNS server I was pointed to by DHCP happened to be the
same one that manages the subdomain containing the mail server and for some
reason was willing to search both zones, thus allowing it to resolve.  I
discovered this by accident when it (properly) didn't work after plugging my lap
top into a different subnet and getting a different DNS server.  I've added the
server to secondary select methods so it works properly now.

Thanks,