From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Subject: Re: Suggestion to nnrss-related doc change and request for atom support
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:25:22 +0900	[thread overview]

> Nowdays there are many crazy groups that have created various
> incompatible formats for content syndication.

> At least till today there exists RDF, RSS 0.9x, RSS 1.0, RSS 1.1, RSS
> 2.0 and Atom 0.3.

> nnrss supports RDF/RSS 0.9x/RSS 1.0/RSS 2.0 well enough especially with
> latest changes committed.

> In Gnus Info, this fact is not mentioned clearly. Just say to support
> RSS is not enough for this crazy world. I suggest to list formats
> explicitly in *Gnus Info*.

Probably versions of formats which nnrss supports depends on the
performance of xml.el.  I don't know who describes it clearly
where.  Sorry.

> I wonder if Atom support is planned. At least from NG reading and Google
> search I can not find any information.

I also don't know it, although it may be coded in Gnus by a
person who wants to use it eagerly in the future.

> And in *Info*, I think wording below is not true:

> ,----
>|   An easy way to get started with `nnrss' is to say something like the
>| following in the group buffer: `B nnrss RET y', then subscribe to
>| groups.
> `----

> If you follow this to browse a RSS source from a single blog site,
> you'll get a blank group buffer.

I think it should be `B nnrss RET RET y'.  Committed.

> I dare not to say it is wrong. I guess it's for those RSS collection
> sites as moreover/syndic8 etc.

> For a single blog site, G R is the best and only way.

> I think this should be clarified in Info.

I also think so.  However, I don't know the url which can be
used for an example because they seem to be always fluid.  It
won't be a matter when accessing them with what is called the
web browser, though.