* [FIXED] can't forward marked articles
@ 2003-12-17  6:57 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2003-12-17  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

I got a bug report that marked articles cannot be forwarded if they
were written by the same author and the author used non-ascii text
in the From header.  Here is a backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Unknown symbol: \xddb3")
  signal(error ("Unknown symbol: \xddb3"))
  error("Unknown symbol: %c" 56755)
  mail-header-parse-address("\xddb3\xd92c \xdcee\xe47e <yamaoka@jpl.org>")
  message-forward-subject-name-subject("Digested Articles")
  message-make-forward-subject()
  message-forward(nil t)
  gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward(nil nil)
  gnus-summary-mail-forward(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-mail-forward)

Non-ascii text there is my real name. :)

There are two problems.  One is that gnus-summary-mail-forward takes
marked /decoded/ articles by way of gnus-uu-digest-mail-forward, while
gnus-summary-mail-forward itself takes a /raw/ article when forwarding
the current article.  The other is that mail-parse functions don't
allow non-ascii text.

I coped with the problem provisionally by using
gnus-extract-address-components instead of mail-header-parse-address.
Although I hesitated to use a Gnus' function in message.el.  Or, we
may need to improve gnus-uu.

The reason why I used gnus-extract-address-components rather than
mail-extract-address-components is because it omits a name too much as
follows:

(mail-extract-address-components "Foo (Bar) Baz <foo@bar.baz>")
 => ("Foo Baz" "foo@bar.baz")
(gnus-extract-address-components "Foo (Bar) Baz <foo@bar.baz>")
 => ("Foo (Bar) Baz" "foo@bar.baz")

Regards,
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: [FIXED] can't forward marked articles
@ 2003-12-31  2:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-12-31  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> The reason why I used gnus-extract-address-components rather than
> mail-extract-address-components is because it omits a name too much as
> follows:
>
> (mail-extract-address-components "Foo (Bar) Baz <foo@bar.baz>")
>  => ("Foo Baz" "foo@bar.baz")
> (gnus-extract-address-components "Foo (Bar) Baz <foo@bar.baz>")
>  => ("Foo (Bar) Baz" "foo@bar.baz")

`mail-extract-address-components' is actually correct here; the Gnus
function is incorrect.  (Bar) is a comment in RFC822 syntax, so it
shouldn't be kept as part of the name...

But the function to use is probably neither, but the following:

(mail-header-parse-address "Foo (Bar) Baz <foo@bar.baz>")
=> ("foo@bar.baz" . "Foo Baz")

That function implements the RFC2822 syntax...  :-)