From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Subject: Re: asterisks disappear
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:23:29 +0900	[thread overview]

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> I'm going to modify the default behavior of emphasis
>> bold during this week.  In addition to this, I'd like to improve
>> the customization type for the `gnus-emphasis-alist' variable so
>> that it may be easier to understand.

> I see you committed your changes a few hours ago to both HEAD and the
> v5-10 branch.  I agree that you have a point about new users being
> confused by this, but I don't think it is appropriate to change the
> default behavior of a stable release in this fashion...

Yes, I broke intentionally the rule for the v5-10 branch which
forbids changes other than bugfixes.  If they don't produce
actual harm even if functions are inferior to No Gnus, I won't
improve them.  However, the conventional behavior which strips
asterisks from buffer names has continued preventing from
exchanging of messages with Gnus users who don't have full
knowledge of them.  New Gnus which new Emacs contains is very
attractive, and it will fascinate many new users.  I thought
that the change is required because of them.  It is not for the
sophisticated users, of course including you.

> FWIW, I like the way bold emphasis works in previous Gnus versions, and
> I'd customize it back if the new way becomes the new default.

I will probably also do the same.  For that purpose, I made it
easy to change the default without altering the Lisp form of the
gnus-emphasis-alist variable.