* Gnus always update newsrc files these days
@ 2004-03-12  1:52 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-03-12  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Even if I start Gnus and exit Gnus shortly without reading
articles, the .newsrc.eld and the .newsrc files are updated.
It is weird because there is no need to change those files.

Furthermore, if I start Gnus and immediately *quit* Gnus using
the Q command, the .newsrc-dribble file is created with the
following contents:

;Converted newsrc from version 'No Gnus v0.2' to 'No Gnus v0.2'? (n/y/?)
;;; Gnus was exited on purpose without saving the .newsrc files.

It is also weird, isn't it?  Because of this, the following
crontab entry always creates that file:

15 6 * * * rm -f ~/#.newsrc-dribble# ~/.newsrc-dribble;\
 emacs -batch -u yamaoka -f gnus-no-server -f gnus-group-quit

It is run in order to fetch a lot of mails in the early morning,
before I start Gnus manually.  I think the gnus-group-quit
command doesn't need to be replaced with gnus-group-exit.

Regards,
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Gnus always update newsrc files these days
@ 2004-03-12  3:11 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-03-12  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Even if I start Gnus and exit Gnus shortly without reading
> articles, the .newsrc.eld and the .newsrc files are updated.
> It is weird because there is no need to change those files.
>
> Furthermore, if I start Gnus and immediately *quit* Gnus using
> the Q command, the .newsrc-dribble file is created with the
> following contents:
>
> ;Converted newsrc from version 'No Gnus v0.2' to 'No Gnus v0.2'? (n/y/?)
> ;;; Gnus was exited on purpose without saving the .newsrc files.
>
> It is also weird, isn't it?  Because of this, the following
> crontab entry always creates that file:
>
> 15 6 * * * rm -f ~/#.newsrc-dribble# ~/.newsrc-dribble;\
>  emacs -batch -u yamaoka -f gnus-no-server -f gnus-group-quit
>
> It is run in order to fetch a lot of mails in the early morning,
> before I start Gnus manually.  I think the gnus-group-quit
> command doesn't need to be replaced with gnus-group-exit.

Fixed.  Checked in. Sheer foolishness on my part.

The converted message should only appear during an upgrade.

Gnus uses the modified status of newsrc-dribble to decide when to
rewrite newsrc so one misplaced message triggered the unnecessary
updates.

Kevin

* Re: Gnus always update newsrc files these days
@ 2004-03-12  3:21   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-03-12  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Even if I start Gnus and exit Gnus shortly without reading
>> articles, the .newsrc.eld and the .newsrc files are updated.

[...]

> Fixed.  Checked in. Sheer foolishness on my part.

> The converted message should only appear during an upgrade.

> Gnus uses the modified status of newsrc-dribble to decide when to
> rewrite newsrc so one misplaced message triggered the unnecessary
> updates.

I confirmed Gnus doesn't update those files needlessly.
Thank you!
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>