* missing sha1-maximum-internal-length
@ 2004-01-13  7:51 Adrian Lanz
From: Adrian Lanz @ 2004-01-13  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of the recent changes in CVS Gnus makes that
sha1-maximum-internal-length is not defined after starting Gnus.

When I try to send out a message to a news group, I get the error
message "sha1: Symbol's value as variable is void:
sha1-maximum-internal-length". After setting/defining the variable to
the default value 500, sending out news works as before.

Thanks, Adrian

* Re: missing sha1-maximum-internal-length
@ 2004-01-13  9:03 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-01-13  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Adrian Lanz <lanz@fowi.ethz.ch> writes:

> One of the recent changes in CVS Gnus makes that
> sha1-maximum-internal-length is not defined after starting Gnus.
>
> When I try to send out a message to a news group, I get the error
> message "sha1: Symbol's value as variable is void:
> sha1-maximum-internal-length". After setting/defining the variable to
> the default value 500, sending out news works as before.

Can you post a backtrace?  The variable is defined in sha1-el.el,
which is supposed to be autoloaded by canlock.el, etc.  You are

* Re: missing sha1-maximum-internal-length
@ 2004-01-13 13:39   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-01-13 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Adrian Lanz <lanz@fowi.ethz.ch> writes:

>> One of the recent changes in CVS Gnus makes that
>> sha1-maximum-internal-length is not defined after starting Gnus.
>>
>> When I try to send out a message to a news group, I get the error
>> message "sha1: Symbol's value as variable is void:
>> sha1-maximum-internal-length". After setting/defining the variable to
>> the default value 500, sending out news works as before.

> Can you post a backtrace?  The variable is defined in sha1-el.el,
> which is supposed to be autoloaded by canlock.el, etc.  You are

Probably, it is because sha1-maximum-internal-length is bound to
nil in the message-canlock-generate function when sha1-el.el is
autoloaded.  I've fixed it in CVS.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: missing sha1-maximum-internal-length
@ 2004-01-13 16:16     ` Adrian Lanz
From: Adrian Lanz @ 2004-01-13 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 Jan 2004, yamaoka@jpl.org wrote:

>> Adrian Lanz <lanz@fowi.ethz.ch> writes:
>
>>> One of the recent changes in CVS Gnus makes that
>>> sha1-maximum-internal-length is not defined after starting Gnus.
>>>
>>> When I try to send out a message to a news group, I get the error
>>> message "sha1: Symbol's value as variable is void:
>>> sha1-maximum-internal-length". After setting/defining the variable
>>> to the default value 500, sending out news works as before.
>
>> Can you post a backtrace?  The variable is defined in sha1-el.el,
>> which is supposed to be autoloaded by canlock.el, etc.  You are
>
> Probably, it is because sha1-maximum-internal-length is bound to
> nil in the message-canlock-generate function when sha1-el.el is
> autoloaded.  I've fixed it in CVS.

That solved the problem for me. Thanks for the prompt fix!

BTW and always on search of a sane configuration for my system: do you
think I have some special/wrong configuration, as nobody else on the
list claimed having had the sha-el problem?

@ 2004-01-13 23:05       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-01-13 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> On 13 Jan 2004, yamaoka@jpl.org wrote:

>> Probably, it is because sha1-maximum-internal-length is bound to
>> nil in the message-canlock-generate function when sha1-el.el is
>> autoloaded.  I've fixed it in CVS.

> That solved the problem for me. Thanks for the prompt fix!

Thanks for the confirmation.

> BTW and always on search of a sane configuration for my system: do you
> think I have some special/wrong configuration, as nobody else on the
> list claimed having had the sha-el problem?

> Thanks, Adrian.

You are not wrong.  There won't be those who have set the
canlock-password variable in advance.  Since it is required for
posting, canceling and superseding news articles, Gnus will
generate and save the value automatically using sha1-el only at
the first time.  The problem arises just at that time.  However,
people will forget it wholly, since it does not occur in the
second time. :)
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>