* decoding more complex MIME messages
@ 2004-10-18 17:17 David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2004-10-18 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Gnus 5.10.6 on Emacs 21.3.1 ]

I receive some mail messages[1] that have the following form:

multipart/alternative {
  text/plain
  multipart/related {
    text/html
    image/jpeg
    image/jpeg
  }
}

My preference is to read the HTML version with inline embedded
images.  Unfortunately the code that searches for the images doesn't
find them, as they are nested too deeply.  As a result, I modified
mm-w3m-cid-retrieve-1:

(defun mm-w3m-cid-retrieve-1 (url handle)
  (dolist (elem handle)
    (when (listp elem)
      (if (equal url (mm-handle-id elem))
	  (progn
	    (mm-insert-part elem)
	    (throw 'found-handle (mm-handle-media-type elem))))
      (if (equal "multipart" (mm-handle-media-supertype elem))
	  (mm-w3m-cid-retrieve-1 url elem)))))

In essence, if one of the sub-parts of the element being examined is a
multipart, we descend into the multipart to search.

Could someone check this and, as appropriate, correct it, improve it
or commit it?  I've previously signed FSF papers for Gnus I believe,
if that's relevant.

Footnotes:
[1]  From newspipe: http://newspipe.sourceforge.net.

dme.

* Re: decoding more complex MIME messages
@ 2004-10-18 23:03 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-10-18 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> I receive some mail messages[1] that have the following form:

> multipart/alternative {
>   text/plain
>   multipart/related {
>     text/html
>     image/jpeg
>     image/jpeg
>}
>}

> My preference is to read the HTML version with inline embedded
> images.  Unfortunately the code that searches for the images doesn't
> find them, as they are nested too deeply.

I see.  It can be complicated infinitely, though I haven't seen
such an article yet.

> As a result, I modified mm-w3m-cid-retrieve-1:

> (defun mm-w3m-cid-retrieve-1 (url handle)
>   (dolist (elem handle)
>     (when (listp elem)
>       (if (equal url (mm-handle-id elem))
> 	  (progn
> 	    (mm-insert-part elem)
> 	    (throw 'found-handle (mm-handle-media-type elem))))
>       (if (equal "multipart" (mm-handle-media-supertype elem))
> 	  (mm-w3m-cid-retrieve-1 url elem)))))

> In essence, if one of the sub-parts of the element being examined is a
> multipart, we descend into the multipart to search.

That's a great improvement.  I couldn't find any doubt in it.

> Could someone check this and, as appropriate, correct it, improve it
> or commit it?  I've previously signed FSF papers for Gnus I believe,
> if that's relevant.

I've installed it in the Gnus trunk and the v5-10 branch.  Thank
you very much for the contribution.

* Re: decoding more complex MIME messages
@ 2004-12-30  1:31 ` Geoff Kuenning
From: Geoff Kuenning @ 2004-12-30  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Gnus 5.9.0 on Emacs 21.3.1 ]

I'm also having trouble with nested MIME mail.  My structure is a bit
different from David's.  One example, generated by Outlook Express
6.00.2900.2180, is:

multipart/related {
  multipart/alternative {
    text/plain
    text/html
  }
  image/jpeg
}

The other, generated by some Kodak software on a Mac that doesn't
produce an X-Mailer header, is:

multipart/mixed {
  multipart/related {
    multipart/alternative {
        [unspecified content-type containing plain text]
        text/html
    }
    image/jpeg
  }
}

Gnus 5.9.0 doesn't seem to have mm-w3m-* functions.  Is there a place
where I could back-fit David's fix, or am I stuck until I can upgrade
to a newer release?
--
    Geoff Kuenning   geoff@cs.hmc.edu   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/

Perl is awk with skin cancer.
		-- Henry Spencer

* nnml question
@ 2005-01-05 13:21   ` G.Ananth Somayaji
From: G.Ananth Somayaji @ 2005-01-05 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Possible newbie question. How do I delete messages which have been delivered
by POP. something like storing to /dev/null. I am unable to create a nnml
folder to /dev/null.

-Ananth

* Re: nnml question
@ 2005-01-05 18:54     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2005-01-05 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"G.Ananth Somayaji"  <gs_ananth@ti.com> writes:

> Possible newbie question. How do I delete messages which have been
> delivered by POP. something like storing to /dev/null. I am unable to
> create a nnml folder to /dev/null.

Have a look at (info "(gnus)6.3.6 Fancy Mail Splitting") and especially
at the symbol 'junk'.

,----[ C-h v nnmail-split-fancy RET ]

| junk: Mail will be deleted.  Use with care!  Do not submerge in water!
|   Example:
|   (setq nnmail-split-fancy
| 	'(| ("Subject" "MAKE MONEY FAST" junk)
| 	    ...other.rules.omitted...))
`----

HTH,
Tassilo
--
"It may just be paranoia, but I think Gnus reads my mail."
       Bruce Stephens <bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk>