* emacs-w3m and colors
@ 2004-09-01  8:13 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-09-01  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use emacs-w3m to display HTML messages.  Very nice.  But it doesn't
show text colors.  Is there a way to get text colors with emacs-w3m?

(People have started to say "I have inserted my comments below, in
red.".)

Kai

* Re: emacs-w3m and colors
@ 2004-09-01  9:39 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-09-01  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1 Sep 2004, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> I use emacs-w3m to display HTML messages.  Very nice.  But it doesn't
> show text colors.  Is there a way to get text colors with emacs-w3m?

I have not found it, sadly.  Also, italics are also lost, to my
occasional displeasure.

It would be very nice if the developers extended their semi-parsed
output to include those details, though, since that is the layer at
which the information is omitted as far as I could determine.

None of the w3m variants available in Debian[1] emit those codes, since
I actually went and checked a few months ago.

> (People have started to say "I have inserted my comments below, in
> red.".)

...this, of course, is why HTML mail is so evil.  All the world can see
the difference between arbitrary colours, right?  *sigh*

    Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  w3m, w3mmee, and the third variants seems to have departed these
     days.

--
We should never create by law what can be accomplished by morality.
        -- Montesquieu

* [emacs-w3m:07076] Re: emacs-w3m and colors
@ 2004-09-01  9:44 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-09-01  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-w3m

> I use emacs-w3m to display HTML messages.  Very nice.  But it doesn't
> show text colors.  Is there a way to get text colors with emacs-w3m?

> (People have started to say "I have inserted my comments below, in
> red.".)

Thank you for trying emacs-w3m.  Unfortunately there is no way to
show text colors.  Showing italic text cannot be done, either.
Currently emacs-w3m shows only faces defined by `defface' in w3m.el
(which see).  We will have to much improve both w3m and emacs-w3m
in order to make it possible.