こんにちは, Messages containing Japanese text in the body are normally encoded with 7bit. However, Q-encoding is used when the body is signed. The mm-safer-encoding function does it, converts 7bit to quoted-printable, even if mm-use-ultra-safe-encoding says in the doc-string as follows: Non-7bit encodings (8bit, binary) are generally disallowed. This is to reduce the probability that a broken MTA or MDA changes the message. We know 7bit is safe by long experience, and using Q-encoding in the body is undesired generally in Japan since we cannot read it using the less command, etc. So, I've modified that function so that it returns 7bit for 7bit. Regards, -- Katsumi Yamaoka