* Q-encode Japanese messages when signed
@ 2004-05-28  6:12 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-05-28  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

こんにちは,

Messages containing Japanese text in the body are normally
encoded with 7bit.  However, Q-encoding is used when the body is
signed.  The mm-safer-encoding function does it, converts 7bit
to quoted-printable, even if mm-use-ultra-safe-encoding says in
the doc-string as follows:

           Non-7bit encodings (8bit, binary) are generally disallowed.
This is to reduce the probability that a broken MTA or MDA changes the
message.

We know 7bit is safe by long experience, and using Q-encoding in
the body is undesired generally in Japan since we cannot read it
using the less command, etc.  So, I've modified that function so
that it returns 7bit for 7bit.

Regards,
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>