From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Subject: Re: Case of letters that specify encodings in MIME-encoded words
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:34:43 +0900	[thread overview]

> Hi,

> I noticed that several MUAs (including Microsoft Outlook Express) fail
> to decode MIME-encoded subjects which are composed with Gnus.  In
> order to check the detail of this problem, I send three mails that
> have MIME-encoded subjects to my friend who uses Microsoft Outlook
> Express, and ask him to check whether these subjects are successfully
> decoded or not.  The result is here:

>         MIME-encoded subject field      |   Result
>   --------------------------------------+-------------
>     =?iso-2022-jp?b?GyRCNEE7ehsoQg==?=  |  undecoded
>     =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCNEE7ehsoQg==?=  |   decoded
>     =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCNEE7ehsoQg==?=  |   decoded

Isn't there the same problem in the Latin world?  It's easy to
suspect that "=?iso-8859-1?q?..." may not be decoded either,
isn't it?  I sometimes see those who don't want Gnus to encode
Latin characters in headers.

> This result shows that this broken decoder decodes MIME-encoded words
> whose encodings are specified in the uppercase letter "B", and shows
> that it does not decode a word whose encoding is specified in the
> lowercase letter "b".

> I think that a careless programmer implemented this decoder reading
> the fourth section of RFC2047,

>    4. Encodings
>       Initially, the legal values for "encoding" are "Q" and "B".

> and he/she failed to notice the second section.

>    2. Syntax of encoded-words

>         encoded-word = "=?" charset "?" encoding "?" encoded-text "?="
>         charset = token    ; see section 3
>         encoding = token   ; see section 4

>       Both 'encoding' and 'charset' names are case-independent.  Thus
>       the charset name "ISO-8859-1" is equivalent to "iso-8859-1", and
>       the encoding named "Q" may be spelled either "Q" or "q".

> It is true that my reporting problem is not caused by Gnus, but I
> think that the attached change may be useful for Gnus users who are
> forced to communicate with users of such broken MUAs, and that it is
> not harmful to Gnus at least.

> Can I commit this change?

> --- rfc2047.el	7 Apr 2004 19:41:45 -0000	7.11
> +++ rfc2047.el	7 May 2004 09:07:53 -0000

Although it is against my will, I think it is needed.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>