From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Subject: Re: message-add-action problem
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:46:11 +0900	[thread overview]

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>> AFAIK, message-*-actions were all buffer-local over nine years.

> No.  I have 5.10.3 lying around, and its message.el, with mod date of
> 14 June 2003, makes these local (for purpose of adding some one-time
> eval forms), but does not nil them out.  So the effect is that one's
> preferred actions are combined with the one-time forms.

> I just tried running that 5.10.3, and it works as expected other than
> that it, too, deletes the wrong frame.  This is evidently an Xemacs
> 21.5 difficulty.

I see.  I found out Lars had changed `message-mode' so as to set
those variables as nil.

2003-10-16  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>

	* message.el (message-inserted-headers): New variable.
	(message-mode): Make local.
	(message-mode): Set all the local action variables to nil.

I guess Lars considered there may be those who invoke the
message-mail command from the message-mode buffer.  In that
case, message-*-actions will get excessive (or possibly harmful)
values in the second message buffer.  I think it can be improved
as follows:

  (set (make-local-variable 'message-*-actions)
       (default-value 'message-*-actions))

I don't think we should do that because the doc-strings for
those variables don't begin with "*", though.