* read new mail while in another group
@ 2011-04-05  9:24 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-05  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

A common occurrence for me is for my "cloud notifier" (not roaming
anymore..), popping up a message saying "new mail from blah blah". Does
Gnus have any way to easily read new mail from another group without
losing context of the current article and group I am in? e.g pop up next
unread article from  buffer from group XYZ (or even better, level X)?

* Re: read new mail while in another group
@ 2011-04-06  0:23 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-06  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> A common occurrence for me is for my "cloud notifier" (not roaming
> anymore..), popping up a message saying "new mail from blah blah". Does
> Gnus have any way to easily read new mail from another group without
> losing context of the current article and group I am in?

Just go to the group buffer and enter another group.  You can have as
many summary buffers up at the same time as you wish.

* Re: read new mail while in another group
@ 2011-04-06 12:34   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-06 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> A common occurrence for me is for my "cloud notifier" (not roaming
>> anymore..), popping up a message saying "new mail from blah blah". Does
>> Gnus have any way to easily read new mail from another group without
>> losing context of the current article and group I am in?
>
> Just go to the group buffer and enter another group.  You can have as
> many summary buffers up at the same time as you wish.

Well, that is one solution. I guess I was hinting at something more user
orientated like the ability to hot key to new incoming mail possibly
something level orientated as hinted at in the op. e.g open a buffer
from wherever I am, using a hot key, containing all unread mail in level
2 groups (auto polling that level for new mail of course) for example or
for a certain topic. I know that would be a real boon when an async mail
notifier tells me there is a new gmail out there and I want to read it
a.s.a.p without needing to go to group, figure which account it was
enter that, fetch new headers enter it, locate the new article and read
it. Possibly wishful thinking on my part ;) Gnus flexibility and all
that.

Now I am familiar with levels and topics I must say I love them and none
of my mail groups are now unplugged by default.

Rather I use the super M-g on a topic to fetch all new articles on that
topic OR C-u N g to fetch all articles at that level and below. It took
some getting there but now its great.

Only my local backends are level 1, the activate level is level 1, all
the rest are 2 and above : gnus start is immediate of course. I then M-g
on my "gmail" topic or my "nntp" topic groups or possibly even C-u 5 g
to get everything.

(There is an issue with "unplugged", activation and gnus start I'll post
in another email : but basically to do with what "unplugged" really
means when you start gnus.)

* Re: read new mail while in another group
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-12 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> I guess I was hinting at something more user
> orientated like the ability to hot key to new incoming mail possibly
> something level orientated as hinted at in the op. e.g open a buffer
> from wherever I am, using a hot key, containing all unread mail in level
> 2 groups (auto polling that level for new mail of course) for example or
> for a certain topic.

So you want a new group that would contain all your unread mail?

I don't really think that fits with the Gnus model.

* Re: read new mail while in another group
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-12 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> So you want a new group that would contain all your unread mail?
>
> I don't really think that fits with the Gnus model.

Although you could just create an nnvirtual group covering all your mail
groups, I guess.

* Re: read new mail while in another group
@ 2011-04-12 16:09       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-12 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I guess I was hinting at something more user
>> orientated like the ability to hot key to new incoming mail possibly
>> something level orientated as hinted at in the op. e.g open a buffer
>> from wherever I am, using a hot key, containing all unread mail in level
>> 2 groups (auto polling that level for new mail of course) for example or
>> for a certain topic.
>
> So you want a new group that would contain all your unread mail?
>
> I don't really think that fits with the Gnus model.

Not necessarily, just a way for Gnus to *fetch* the next unread mail
without need to explicitly find the groups where new mail exists.

* Re: read new mail while in another group
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-12 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Not necessarily, just a way for Gnus to *fetch* the next unread mail
> without need to explicitly find the groups where new mail exists.

Sounds like nnvirtual.