* Suggestion to nnrss-related doc change and request for atom support
@ 2005-01-22 17:21 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2005-01-22 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nowdays there are many crazy groups that have created various
incompatible formats for content syndication.

At least till today there exists RDF, RSS 0.9x, RSS 1.0, RSS 1.1, RSS
2.0 and Atom 0.3.

nnrss supports RDF/RSS 0.9x/RSS 1.0/RSS 2.0 well enough especially with
latest changes committed.

In Gnus Info, this fact is not mentioned clearly. Just say to support
RSS is not enough for this crazy world. I suggest to list formats
explicitly in *Gnus Info*.

I wonder if Atom support is planned. At least from NG reading and Google
search I can not find any information.

And in *Info*, I think wording below is not true:

,----
|   An easy way to get started with `nnrss' is to say something like the
| following in the group buffer: `B nnrss RET y', then subscribe to
| groups.
`----

If you follow this to browse a RSS source from a single blog site,
you'll get a blank group buffer.

I dare not to say it is wrong. I guess it's for those RSS collection
sites as moreover/syndic8 etc.

For a single blog site, G R is the best and only way.

I think this should be clarified in Info.

CG

--
ESTRAGON: What do we do now?
VLADIMIR: Wait for Godot.

* Re: Suggestion to nnrss-related doc change and request for atom support
@ 2005-01-24  8:25 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-01-24  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Nowdays there are many crazy groups that have created various
> incompatible formats for content syndication.

> At least till today there exists RDF, RSS 0.9x, RSS 1.0, RSS 1.1, RSS
> 2.0 and Atom 0.3.

> nnrss supports RDF/RSS 0.9x/RSS 1.0/RSS 2.0 well enough especially with
> latest changes committed.

> In Gnus Info, this fact is not mentioned clearly. Just say to support
> RSS is not enough for this crazy world. I suggest to list formats
> explicitly in *Gnus Info*.

Probably versions of formats which nnrss supports depends on the
performance of xml.el.  I don't know who describes it clearly
where.  Sorry.

> I wonder if Atom support is planned. At least from NG reading and Google
> search I can not find any information.

I also don't know it, although it may be coded in Gnus by a
person who wants to use it eagerly in the future.

> And in *Info*, I think wording below is not true:

> ,----
>|   An easy way to get started with `nnrss' is to say something like the
>| following in the group buffer: `B nnrss RET y', then subscribe to
>| groups.
> `----

> If you follow this to browse a RSS source from a single blog site,
> you'll get a blank group buffer.

I think it should be `B nnrss RET RET y'.  Committed.

> I dare not to say it is wrong. I guess it's for those RSS collection
> sites as moreover/syndic8 etc.

> For a single blog site, G R is the best and only way.

> I think this should be clarified in Info.

I also think so.  However, I don't know the url which can be
used for an example because they seem to be always fluid.  It
won't be a matter when accessing them with what is called the
web browser, though.