* gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit not setting marks
@ 2002-09-20 19:20 David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2002-09-20 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

In some groups, regardless of back end (I have nntp, nnml, nnimap, all
of which are affected), pressing c, gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit
doesn't always do the catch up part.  In other groups it works fine.
Looking at show-message-log, in the groups in which it works, I see a
message "Setting marks in ...", in the others I don't.  I'm also not
positive it's always happening in the same groups.  I've looked
through group params etc and can't find any obvious differences.  If I
do the equivalent work of that function with M C Z n, then all works
as expected.  It almost seems like there's a race condition somewhere.
Any advice on how I could try to debug this?

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit not setting marks
@ 2002-09-23  9:56 ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-09-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> In some groups, regardless of back end (I have nntp, nnml, nnimap, all
> of which are affected), pressing c, gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit
> doesn't always do the catch up part.

FWIW, I see this too. I only use nnimap as backend.

Niklas

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit not setting marks
@ 2002-09-23 10:24 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-09-23 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> In some groups, regardless of back end (I have nntp, nnml, nnimap, all
> of which are affected), pressing c, gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit
> doesn't always do the catch up part.

Is the group buffer updated or not?

I think I have seen this too, but only after `g' after a `c' -- the
catched up messages are back as unread.  This is nnimap.

> In other groups it works fine.  Looking at show-message-log, in the
> groups in which it works, I see a message "Setting marks in ...", in
> the others I don't.  I'm also not positive it's always happening in
> the same groups.  I've looked through group params etc and can't
> find any obvious differences.  If I do the equivalent work of that
> function with M C Z n, then all works as expected.  It almost seems
> like there's a race condition somewhere.  Any advice on how I could
> try to debug this?

If you can reproduce it easily, edebugging `c' is a starting point.

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit not setting marks
@ 2002-09-23 12:51   ` Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2002-09-23 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

    NM> David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:
    >  In some groups, regardless of back end (I have nntp, nnml,
    >  nnimap, all of which are affected), pressing c,
    >  gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit doesn't always do the catch up
    >  part.

    NM> FWIW, I see this too. I only use nnimap as backend.

I experienced same things these days. There must be something wrong now
in CVS. :)

--
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ 2002-09-23 21:22   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-09-23 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson wrote:

>  If you can reproduce it easily, edebugging `c' is a starting point.

how does one do that?  i mean, how do i start edebug'ging in some
situation?

clemens

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit not setting marks
@ 2002-09-24 11:49     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-09-24 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>>  If you can reproduce it easily, edebugging `c' is a starting point.
>
> how does one do that?  i mean, how do i start edebug'ging in some
> situation?

If you want to edebug what happens when you press `c', do C-h k q and
click on the hyperlink (Emacs only) in the documentation buffer that
leads you to the function definition, then press M-x edebug-defun RET
with point inside that function, return to Gnus and press `c'.  You
are placed in the lisp buffer when the function is invoked and can
single step using SPC and evaluate things using M-: or C-h v, or abort
execution with `q' and resume execution with `c' (or `g').

Maybe this should go into the manual somewhere?  Edebugging is very
useful to debug things and it is not very difficult even if you are
not familiar with Gnus internals.

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit not setting marks
@ 2002-09-24 15:26     ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2002-09-24 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did a CVS update yesterday morning (about 9AM EDT, September 23) and
have not seen this problem since, including after another update
earlier this morning.
--

@ 2002-09-25  8:56       ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2002-09-25  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you want to edebug what happens when you press `c', do C-h k q and
> click on the hyperlink (Emacs only) in the documentation buffer that
> leads you to the function definition, then press M-x edebug-defun RET
> with point inside that function, return to Gnus and press `c'.  You
> are placed in the lisp buffer when the function is invoked and can
> single step using SPC and evaluate things using M-: or C-h v, or abort
> execution with `q' and resume execution with `c' (or `g').

Good summary, thank you for this.

> Maybe this should go into the manual somewhere?

I certainly think so. Until then, I will keep your message
ticked so I have the information at hand when I need it.

Niklas

* Re: gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit not setting marks
@ 2002-09-25 13:20         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-09-25 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Niklas Morberg <niklas.morberg@axis.com> writes:

>> Maybe this should go into the manual somewhere?
>
> I certainly think so.

I added something like it to the troubleshooting section:

   If you want to debug your problem further before reporting, possibly
in order to solve the problem yourself and send a patch, you can use
edebug.  Debugging lisp code is documented in the Elisp manual (*note
Debugging Lisp Programs: (elisp)Debugging.).  To get you started with
edebug, consider if you discover some weird behaviour when pressing
`c', the first step is to do `C-h k c' and click on the hyperlink
(Emacs only) in the documentation buffer that leads you to the function
definition, then press `M-x edebug-defun RET' with point inside that
function, return to Gnus and press `c' to invoke the code.  You will be
placed in the lisp buffer and can single step using `SPC' and evaluate
expressions using `M-:' or inspect variables using `C-h v', abort
execution with `q', resume execution with `c' or `g'.