Hello, I've made a patch to message.el to better detect if message you are trying to cancel (or supersede) is really yours. Personally I got annoyed, because I use gnus-posting-styles to change different addresses when posting to usenet. Now there is additional check by matching message-alternative-emails regexp (already existing variable) agains sender (grabbed from From field) email. I also separated common code from message-cancel-news and message-supersede to new function message-is-yours-p, because same code was duplicated. Patch is here: