* Superfluous directory reading in nndir groups.
@ 1996-03-29  9:31 Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1996-03-29  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I read the ding list using

nndir+/ftp@ftp.hpc.uh.edu:/pub/emacs/ding-list-recent/:ding.recent

(I really dunno why, getting the list itself is much easier when my
nnfolder groups start working again).

unfortunatly as it's based on the other side of the big lake
connections are quite slow sometimes. Could interactions with the ftp
server be kept to a mimimum? To me it seems I get at least two
"Listing /fpt@ftphpc....." before the actual article is retreived.?
There directory listings often take longer than getting the article.
I is it not possible to just get the article file?

I did sometimes get this 5.0.15 too, but somehow it seams to have
increased in september...

Jan

P.S. Sorry about me complaining about trees not working. I just didn't
understand that they would only be displayed when actually viewing one
of the articles.

P.P.S. I does anybody have any nice window layout?

--
Jan Vroonhof                    http://www.math.ethz.ch/~vroonhof/
Mathematik,                                  vroonhof@math.ethz.ch

* Re: Superfluous directory reading in nndir groups.
@ 1996-04-01 15:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-01 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> unfortunatly as it's based on the other side of the big lake
> connections are quite slow sometimes. Could interactions with the ftp
> server be kept to a mimimum? To me it seems I get at least two
> "Listing /fpt@ftphpc....." before the actual article is retreived.?

It's just that way ange-ftp works.  It reads a lot of directory
information.

"/ftp@ftp.ifi.uio.no:/pub/emacs/gnus/ding/" has the last week (or so)
of the ding list, and should be much faster for those of us on this
side of the pond.