* I said "view INTERNALLY" damnit.
@ 1999-11-06 22:05 Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-11-06 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am still using 0.8x and haven't verified that this is "fixed" in
later version but I
just want to talk this annoyance of me and have not seen anything
related in the Changelogs

The context popup menu for mime parts contains an item called "View
internally". However that is a misnomer. It doesn't view internally
always. It really does "View using default Method". That is it will
launch external viewers if it think those work better.

I want a "View using default", however I _also_ want a real "view
internally" I don't care that his is a 10000x10000 animated gif I want
to see it my XEmacs buffer. If that is somehow impossible, just signal
an error.

Jan

* Re: I said "view INTERNALLY" damnit.
@ 1999-11-07  3:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> The context popup menu for mime parts contains an item called "View
> internally". However that is a misnomer. It doesn't view internally
> always. It really does "View using default Method". That is it will
> launch external viewers if it think those work better.

The function bound the wrong variable.  Could you check the version
in CVS to see whether it fixes this?

* Re: I said "view INTERNALLY" damnit.
@ 1999-11-07 16:10   ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-11-07 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > The context popup menu for mime parts contains an item called "View
> > internally". However that is a misnomer. It doesn't view internally
> > always. It really does "View using default Method". That is it will
> > launch external viewers if it think those work better.
>
> The function bound the wrong variable.  Could you check the version
> in CVS to see whether it fixes this?

It works better now. I seem to be able to view images internal, but it
still calling external programs for stuff it cannot handle like 'pdf'
files.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-11  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> It works better now. I seem to be able to view images internal, but it
> still calling external programs for stuff it cannot handle like 'pdf'
> files.

I think that's a reasonable behavior -- it makes the viewing gravitate
towards the internal display methods, but if there are none of those,
then display it externally.

* Re: I said "view INTERNALLY" damnit.
@ 1999-11-11  3:42       ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 1999-11-11  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Nov 1999 04:30:40 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> said:

    > I think that's a reasonable behavior -- it makes the viewing
    > gravitate towards the internal display methods, but if there are
    > none of those, then display it externally.

I prefer that to having it upshit and die, or fail and display no
error...

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
mharnois@willinet.net                      aa0bt@aa0bt.ampr.org

* Re: I said "view INTERNALLY" damnit.
@ 1999-11-11 10:12       ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-11-11 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > It works better now. I seem to be able to view images internal, but it
> > still calling external programs for stuff it cannot handle like 'pdf'
> > files.
>
> I think that's a reasonable behavior -- it makes the viewing gravitate
> towards the internal display methods, but if there are none of those,
> then display it externally.

But then please don't call it "view INTERNALLY".

Jan

* Re: I said "view INTERNALLY" damnit.
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-11 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> But then please don't call it "view INTERNALLY".

But
"gravitate-towards-viewing-internally-but-if-we-can't-then-view-externally"
isn't as snappy.  :-)

I've now fixed the doc string of the command.

* Re: I said "view INTERNALLY" damnit.
@ 1999-11-11 17:35           ` Jan Vroonhof
       [not found]           ` <byr9hxylqm.fsf@bolzano. <bybt8v2vgu.fsf@bolzano.math.ethz.ch>
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-11-11 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But
> "gravitate-towards-viewing-internally-but-if-we-can't-then-view-externally"
> isn't as snappy.  :-)
>
> I've now fixed the doc string of the command.

That doesn't help for the popup menu. Why don't you call it just
"View" there (the gravitating part the comes automatically in contrast
with the "View Externally" option.

@ 1999-11-15 20:12             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-15 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> That doesn't help for the popup menu. Why don't you call it just
> "View" there (the gravitating part the comes automatically in contrast
> with the "View Externally" option.

Well, `RET' is the one that should really be called "View"...

* Re: I said "view INTERNALLY" damnit.
@ 1999-11-15 23:20           ` Jan Vroonhof
       [not found]           ` <byr9hxylqm.fsf@bolzano. <bybt8v2vgu.fsf@bolzano.math.ethz.ch>
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1999-11-15 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > That doesn't help for the popup menu. Why don't you call it just
> > "View" there (the gravitating part the comes automatically in contrast
> > with the "View Externally" option.
>
> Well, `RET' is the one that should really be called "View"...

I think this a good opportunity to rant about the fact that the popup
menu does not list keyboard equivalents and thus I don't know (without
really looking) which one is RET. I am not sure who's fault that is
though. Someday I may even be annoyed enough to fix this :-)

@ 1999-11-16  6:13             ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-11-16  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> I think this a good opportunity to rant about the fact that the
> popup menu does not list keyboard equivalents and thus I don't know
> (without really looking) which one is RET. I am not sure who's fault
> that is though.

I'm the one who implemented the popup menus (the Gnus ones:-), and I
think I know where the problem is.  Stay tuned.