* Using just the secondary method?
@ 1996-05-02 18:06 Juri Pakaste
From: Juri Pakaste @ 1996-05-02 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to tell sgnus to use just the secondary select method
when starting up and when fetching new articles? The primary method is
nntp, which isn't always available (I use PPP) and when it is, it
isn't exactly fast over the 16800 link. But AFAIK I always have to use
it when I want to read mail, as I use nnml as the secondary select
method.

This might be a RTFM, but I haven't found the solution.
--
// Juri Pakaste
// jurip@icon.fi

* Re: Using just the secondary method?
@ 1996-05-02 19:28 ` David Kegedal
From: David Kegedal @ 1996-05-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Juri Pakaste <cyteen@avalon.icon.fi> writes:

> Is there a way to tell sgnus to use just the secondary select method
> when starting up and when fetching new articles? The primary method is
> nntp, which isn't always available (I use PPP) and when it is, it
> isn't exactly fast over the 16800 link. But AFAIK I always have to use
> it when I want to read mail, as I use nnml as the secondary select
> method.
>
> This might be a RTFM, but I haven't found the solution.

	M-x gnus-no-server

It is usuallyt a good idea to combine it with a prefix. I have my mail
groups at level 1 and 2, and if I want to just read mail I do

	M-2 M-x gnus-no-server

--
David Kågedal     Lysator Academic Computer Society       davidk@lysator.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/                              +46-13 17 65 89

* Re: Using just the secondary method?
@ 1996-05-02 20:38 ` Ching-Mo Chang
From: Ching-Mo Chang @ 1996-05-02 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 Juri> Is there a way to tell sgnus to use just the secondary select
 Juri> method when starting up and when fetching new articles? The
 Juri> primary method is nntp, which isn't always available (I use
 Juri> PPP) and when it is, it isn't exactly fast over the 16800
 Juri> link. But AFAIK I always have to use it when I want to read
 Juri> mail, as I use nnml as the secondary select method.

I just define an elisp function which set `nnml' as the primary method
and use a different startup file as follow:

(defun gm ()
   "Use `GNUS' to read mail."
   (interactive)
   (setq gnus-startup-file "~/gnus-startup/private"
	 gnus-select-method
	 '(nnml "private"
		(nnml-directory "~/Mail")
		(nnml-active-file "~/Mail/active")
		(nnml-newsgroups-file "~/Mail/.group-description")
		(nnml-get-new-mail t)
		;;(nnml-nov-is-evil nil)
		;;(nnml-prepare-save-mail-hook )
		))
   (gnus))

to read mail, of course that I also define some other functons to read
news from different nntp servers. I am using PPP too.

--
Ching-Mo Chang <chang@wsu.edu> <chang@theta.math.wsu.edu>

* Re: Using just the secondary method?
@ 1996-05-05 10:16   ` Juri Pakaste
From: Juri Pakaste @ 1996-05-05 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    David> Juri Pakaste <cyteen@avalon.icon.fi> writes:
    >> Is there a way to tell sgnus to use just the secondary select
    >> method when starting up and when fetching new articles? The

    David> 	M-x gnus-no-server

    David> It is usuallyt a good idea to combine it with a prefix. I
    David> have my mail groups at level 1 and 2, and if I want to just
    David> read mail I do

    David> 	M-2 M-x gnus-no-server

Thanks. Using the group levels did the trick. I had tried M-x
gnus-no-server, but it hadn't helped much before.

--

@ 1996-05-05 12:40     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-05-05 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

David> M-2 M-x gnus-no-server

JP> Thanks. Using the group levels did the trick. I had tried M-x
JP> gnus-no-server, but it hadn't helped much before.

I think gnus-no-server should default to level 2.

I also think new mail groups should be created at level 2.  I just
tried creating a mail group, and it was created at level 3 just like
news groups.

* Re: Using just the secondary method?
@ 1996-05-07 20:21       ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 1996-05-07 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Per> I think gnus-no-server should default to level 2.

I'm still using 0.57 (too much travel lately to adjust all my mh hooks
for message.el) but I just tried gnus-no-server and sure enough, it
seems to default everything to level 2.  In fact, C-h v
gnus-group-default-list-level shows me that.  g in the *Group* buffer
is also limited to levels 1 and 2.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Email: dsg@mitre.org