* Feature Request -Customizable FQDN
@ 2004-09-23  4:22 Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-23  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Yesterday I tried to post this message to ding via news.gnus.org, but
seems it's not posted. So I resend it via gmane.)

Just found an annoying thing in Gnus.

I use Gnus to manage my work and personal emails together, and read NGs.
And for convenience I setup user-mail-address to my personal email as
shown in this post.
I setup all my work emails in groups as 'nnml+label:biz\..*', and I use
posting styles to setup work email and organizaiton etc. Everything is
OK.

And the problem is with Message-ID.

Function  message-make-fqdn always uses global `user-mail-address to
generate Message-ID (I set message-user-fqdn to nil).

I know there is way to generate message id for news and mail messages
differently. But this wont solve my problem. Coz for mail messages, I
need FQDN for work and personal use seperately.

And I think it's very reasonable to add message-user-fqdn into
customizable list of Posting Style or Group Parameter.

Just like:

(setq gnus-posting-styles '(("nntp.*" (fqdn "fornews.fqdn"))
                            ("nnml.*" (fqdn "formail.fqdn"))
))

Or I think most reasonable:

(setq gnus-parameters '(("nntp.*" (fqdn . "fornews.fqdn"))
                        ("nnml.*" (fqdn . "forpersonalmail.fqdn"))
                        ("nnml.*:biz.*" (fqdn . "forworkmail.fqdn"))
)
)

OT:
Personally I think posting style should be merged into Group Parameters
entirely. I know I can setup posting-style in parameters now, but it's
feature-limited. Topic Paramters->Groups Parameters (with regexp) ->
Specific Group Parameter can be a very reasonable cascading setup tree
just like what CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) does.

CG
--
酌贪泉而觉爽,处涸辙以犹欢

* Re: Feature Request -Customizable FQDN
@ 2004-09-23 17:46 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-23 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 23 2004, Cheng Gao wrote:

> (setq gnus-posting-styles '(("nntp.*" (fqdn "fornews.fqdn"))
>                             ("nnml.*" (fqdn "formail.fqdn"))
> ))
>
> Or I think most reasonable:
>
> (setq gnus-parameters '(("nntp.*" (fqdn . "fornews.fqdn"))
>                         ("nnml.*" (fqdn . "forpersonalmail.fqdn"))
>                         ("nnml.*:biz.*" (fqdn . "forworkmail.fqdn"))
> )
> )

This should already be possible:

Posting styles:

  (eval (setq message-user-fqdn "domain1.invalid"))

`gnus-parameters':

  (message-user-fqdn "domain1.invalid")

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Feature Request -Customizable FQDN
@ 2004-09-24  6:56   ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-24  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----
| Posting styles:
|
|   (eval (setq message-user-fqdn "domain1.invalid"))
|
| `gnus-parameters':
|
|   (message-user-fqdn "domain1.invalid")
`----
But it does not work in fact. message-user-fqdn is just taked literally,
so only a header `Message-User-Fqdn is added.

CG
--
No God blessing me
No Dog barking at me

* Re: Feature Request -Customizable FQDN
@ 2004-09-24  7:42     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-24  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 24 2004, Cheng Gao wrote:

> ,----
> | Posting styles:
> |
> |   (eval (setq message-user-fqdn "domain1.invalid"))
> |
> | `gnus-parameters':
> |
> |   (message-user-fqdn "domain1.invalid")
> `----
> But it does not work in fact. message-user-fqdn is just taked literally,
> so only a header `Message-User-Fqdn is added.

Are you sure that you put the first example in `gnus-posting-styles'
or the second in `gnus-parameters'?  I'm quite sure the
`gnus-parameters' statement isn't able to set headers and that the
eval statement doesn't do neither.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Feature Request -Customizable FQDN
@ 2004-09-24  8:02       ` Cheng Gao
From: Cheng Gao @ 2004-09-24  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----
|   (eval (setq message-user-fqdn "domain1.invalid"))
`----
I confirm this does work as expected.

First I set in both way, and obviously my setup in gnus-parameters is
wrong.

I think I cannot get the answer from Gnus doc.

Thank you Reiner,

CG

--
No God blessing me