Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes: > If we were to design a mail back end that's supposed to scale to > several hundred thousands of messages in thousands of groups -- how > would we do that? Perhaps somebody has pondered this question > before. :-) The biggest problem to me seems to be disk access and memory usage (this is in fact an Emacs problem and it's not restricted to Gnus...). I'd go for some optimization in the way informatio is stored and retrieved, trying to minimize I/O in big groups (I feel the performance problem with groups in the 40K+ messages range...). Storing the marks on a separate file and using indices for messages was indeed a good idea. We should try separating all the information of a group into it's subdirectory (I use nnml). Implementing Maildir support would also be interesting, since it would prevent Gnus from copying all the messages to a temporary file before splitting them. -- Godoy. Escritório de Projetos -- Conectiva S.A. Projects Office -- Conectiva Inc.