From: David Edmondson <dme@dme.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: gnus-cloud.el
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 15:44:05 +0000	[thread overview]

After some time away, I'm playing with Gnus again. In this instance,
gnus-cloud isn't working for me.

Specifically, I can add a gnus-cloud storage server (on nnimap) and
register another server (nntp) with it. ~u causes messages to be added
to Emacs-Cloud and they appear to have the right kind of content.

~d on another machine never does anything useful (e.g. mark some
articles as read) because this test:

              (if (and newer (not force-older))
                (gnus-message 3 "Skipping outdated cloud info for group %s, the info is from %s (now is %s)" group date now)

always returns true.

Looking at how `newer' is calculated, it compares the group timestamp
from the gnus-cloud message with the current time. It's not clear to me
how that test is ever going to return `nil', unless I have a version of
emacs running somewhere in the future that updates gnus-cloud.

Forcing `newer' to `nil' for debugging does indeed cause the local gnus
to pay attention to changes from the cloud.

Is this all expected to be working at the moment? The logic has not
changed for quite some time (I have the patch that Paul Eggert made a
couple of weeks ago - it doesn't seem directly relevant).

dme.
--
I was better off when I was on your side, and I was holding on.