* Frame focus when doing framesplits from windowconfigs
@ 1998-02-26 19:57 Harald Meland
From: Harald Meland @ 1998-02-26 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

WIBNI Gnus had some way of specifying what frame would have focus
after a window configuration had been established (by ways of
`gnus-configure-frame')?

This window configuration nearly does what I want for `reply-yank':

(gnus-add-configuration
 '(reply-yank
   (frame 1.0
	  (second (assq 'article gnus-buffer-configuration))
	  (vertical ((user-position . t)
		     (name . "Gnus Edit"))
		    (message 1.0 point)))))

Would it be too much to ask that in addition to the optional third tag
`point' there would be a `focus' tag specifying frame focus?

Finally, is there some "right" way of figuring out which is the "main"
Gnus frame (i.e. the frame which had focus when Gnus first split off
another frame)?  I'm asking because I would like to add some function
to some message-mode hook that gave focus back to this "main" frame
whenever I finish editing something in my "editing" frame.

--
Harald

* Re: Frame focus when doing framesplits from windowconfigs
@ 1998-02-27 12:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Meland <Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no> writes:

> Would it be too much to ask that in addition to the optional third tag
> `point' there would be a `focus' tag specifying frame focus?

No, that sounds reasonable.  Or should the `point' tag just move focus
to the frame that displays that window?

> Finally, is there some "right" way of figuring out which is the "main"
> Gnus frame (i.e. the frame which had focus when Gnus first split off
> another frame)?

Uhm...  `gnus-created-frames' lists all frames that Gnus has created.
Perhaps that might help?

* Re: Frame focus when doing framesplits from windowconfigs
@ 1998-03-02  3:12   ` Harald Meland
From: Harald Meland @ 1998-03-02  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen]

| Harald Meland <Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no> writes:
|
| > Would it be too much to ask that in addition to the optional third tag
| > `point' there would be a `focus' tag specifying frame focus?
|
| No, that sounds reasonable.  Or should the `point' tag just move focus
| to the frame that displays that window?

I'd prefer a separate tag for frame focus -- I'm constructing the
splits for the individual frames from my other (single-frame) window
configurations, like this:

(gnus-add-configuration
 '(message
   (frame 1.0
	  (if (buffer-live-p gnus-summary-buffer)
	      (second (assq 'summary gnus-buffer-configuration))
	    (second (assq 'group gnus-buffer-configuration)))
	  (vertical ((user-position . t)
		     (name . "Gnus Edit"))
		    (message 1.0 point)))))

Just "revising" the semantics of the `point' tag would complicate
using this scheme quite a lot.  I believe I'm not the only one doing
multi-frame splits in this manner.

Of course, my argument is moot if there is some easy way of stripping
a split of any `point' tags...

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-07 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Meland <Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no> writes:

> I'd prefer a separate tag for frame focus -- I'm constructing the
> splits for the individual frames from my other (single-frame) window
> configurations, like this:
>
> (gnus-add-configuration
>  '(message
>    (frame 1.0
> 	  (if (buffer-live-p gnus-summary-buffer)
> 	      (second (assq 'summary gnus-buffer-configuration))
> 	    (second (assq 'group gnus-buffer-configuration)))
> 	  (vertical ((user-position . t)
> 		     (name . "Gnus Edit"))
> 		    (message 1.0 point)))))

Ok.  Where would the `frame-focus' (or whatever) tag go?

* Re: Frame focus when doing framesplits from windowconfigs
@ 1998-03-09 23:20       ` Harald Meland
From: Harald Meland @ 1998-03-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen]

| Ok.  Where would the `frame-focus' (or whatever) tag go?

Wherever it would define exactly _one_ frame to be the one to hold
focus after the split -- I don't hold any strong opinion on where this
would be.  However, to make a suggestion (as that seems to be what
you're asking for):

  In a `frame' split, the last subsplit having a leaf split where the
  tag `frame-focus' is a member (i.e. is the third or fourth element
  in the list, depending on whether the `point' tag is present) gets
  focus.

As `frame' splits are required to be top-level splits, the above
definition should determine focus unambiguously.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-13 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Meland <Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no> writes:

> Wherever it would define exactly _one_ frame to be the one to hold
> focus after the split -- I don't hold any strong opinion on where this
> would be.  However, to make a suggestion (as that seems to be what
> you're asking for):
>
>   In a `frame' split, the last subsplit having a leaf split where the
>   tag `frame-focus' is a member (i.e. is the third or fourth element
>   in the list, depending on whether the `point' tag is present) gets
>   focus.

Ok; I've added this to Gnus 5.6.3.  Could you see whether it works,
and since it doesn't, say in what way it doesn't?  :-)