* Re: Quassia Gnus v0.26 is released
@ 1998-02-14 13:37 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-02-14 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you update from v.22 to 26 by way of fresh install I assume any
bookmarks in gnus info will be history.

Can you save bookmarks by using the diff patches?  And if so  are dif
patches from v22 to 26 available? (didn't see any but 25-26)
--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Quassia Gnus v0.26 is released
@ 1998-02-14 18:28 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-14 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bug fixes.

Get it from <URL:http://www.gnus.org/qgnus.tar.gz> or
"/ftp@ftp.gnus.org:/pub/emacs/gnus/".  The patch is available as
<URL:http://www.gnus.org/patches/qgnus-0.25-0.26.diff.gz>.

ChangeLog since last release:

Sat Feb 14 19:28:01 1998  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@menja.ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus.el: Quassia Gnus v0.26 is released.

Sat Feb 14 18:40:55 1998  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus-agent.el (gnus-agent-directory): Translate file chars.

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-print-article): Don't display all
	headers.
	(gnus-summary-edit-parameters): New command and keystroke.

	* gnus-group.el (gnus-group-rename-group): Mark dribble.

Sat Feb 14 18:39:45 1998  Fred Oberhauser  <foberhauser@psipenta.de>

	* nnmail.el (nnmail-process-babyl-mail-format): Fix point
	movement.

Sat Feb 14 18:31:39 1998  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus.el (gnus-group-get-parameter): Dix fix.

Sat Feb 14 18:29:12 1998  Kim-Minh Kaplan  <KimMinh.Kaplan@utopia.eunet.fr>

	* gnus-picon.el: Updated documentation.

Sat Feb 14 18:26:53 1998  Joev Dubach  <dubach@dcepea.harvard.edu>

	* nntp.el (nntp-send-authinfo-from-file): Doc fix.

Sun Jan 11 23:44:12 1998  Ken Raeburn  <raeburn@cygnus.com>

	* nnagent.el (nnagent-request-update-info): New no-op fn.

Sat Feb 14 17:41:44 1998  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus-srvr.el (gnus-browse-unsubscribe-group): Wouldn't allow
	subscription of visited groups.

	* gnus-util.el (gnus-run-hooks): New function.
	Use it everywhere.

	* nntp.el (nntp-authinfo-password): New variable.
	(nntp-send-authinfo): Cache authinfo password.

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-mark-article-as-unread): Don't do
	anything if the mark doesn't change.

1998-01-17  Simon Josefsson  <jas@pdc.kth.se>

       * gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-work-articles): change buffer
       before looking at marked articles
       (gnus-summary-work-articles): better check of marked articles

Sat Feb 14 15:10:36 1998  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@ifi.uio.no>

	* nntp.el (nntp-send-authinfo): Use new .netrc functionality.

	* gnus-util.el (gnus-netrc-syntax-table): New variable.
	(gnus-parse-netrc): New function.
	(gnus-netrc-machine): Ditto.
	(gnus-netrc-get): Ditto.

	* gnus-draft.el (gnus-draft-make-menu-bar): Added deletion.

	* gnus.el (gnus-expert-user): Dix fox.

	* nnmail.el (nnmail-article-group): Remove duplicates from split.

	* message.el (message-check-news-header-syntax): Check more on
	Message-ID.

	* nnmh.el: Don't call nnmail-activate.

	* gnus.el: User-variabelize all custom vars.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Quassia Gnus v0.26 is released
@ 1998-02-15  8:24     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-02-15  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > If you update from v.22 to 26 by way of fresh install I assume any
> > bookmarks in gnus info will be history.
>
> What are bookmarks?

If above statement isn't a joke, here is what I meant.
Since I am a rather severe green horn with emacs and gnus, I make heavy
use of emacs ability to save bookmarks, and have many set in the info
sections to be able to find certain info fast. (Often just by looking at
the bookmark list)

When I first installed qgnus (I started with v.22) The readme file tells
how to aim emacs at the new info files instead of the gnus 5.5 files. (I
was reluctant to remove the 5.5 setup) Once this is done then the old
book marks(that were set in Gnus info) are bypassed (I think) because
the location of the files is different.

Now I have accumulated many bookmarks in the qgnus info files.

> > Can you save bookmarks by using the diff patches?  And if so  are dif
> > patches from v22 to 26 available? (didn't see any but 25-26

I had hoped by using the patches instead of a new install the bookmarks
set in gnus info would be maintained. ( I guess they will)

> All the patches should be on the web sites.

Yes, thank you-- I was looking at the wrong site.

--

@ 1998-02-15 13:28   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-15 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > What are bookmarks?
>
> If above statement isn't a joke, here is what I meant.

I have never heard of bookmarks before, but I see that there's a whole
bunch of bookmark-related symbols in Emacs, so I guess it must do
something.  Like, uhm, allow people to put bookmarks in files.  :-)

* Re: Quassia Gnus v0.26 is released
@ 1998-02-16  8:20         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-16  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > What are bookmarks?
>>
>> If above statement isn't a joke, here is what I meant.

> I have never heard of bookmarks before,

	Search->Bookmarks->...

> but I see that there's a whole bunch of bookmark-related symbols in
> Emacs, so I guess it must do something.  Like, uhm, allow people to
> put bookmarks in files.  :-)

Yes.  File and position (position determined by a context regexp).

I find i extremely useful to set bookmarks to different places in the
directory trees of machines I use ange-ftp to access.

* Re: Quassia Gnus v0.26 is released
@ 1998-02-16 18:24   ` Harald Meland
From: Harald Meland @ 1998-02-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[Harry Putnam]

| If you update from v.22 to 26 by way of fresh install I assume any
| bookmarks in gnus info will be history.

I'm not sure whether the bookmark code in Emacs resolves symbolic
links to absolute paths.  If not, you could install QGnus like this:

Add the directory "/path/to/installed/gnus/lisp" to your `load-path'.
Likewise, add the directory "/path/to/installed/gnus/texi" to either
`Info-default-directory-list' or `Info-directory-list'.  Now, make
"/path/to/installed/gnus" be a symlink to
e.g. "/path/to/installed/qgnus-0.26" (or wherever), and you should be
set.

When updating to a new QGnus release, unpack it and compile it
anywhere, and then update the symlink accordingly.  Voila.
--
Harald