* multiple nntp servers
@ 1997-12-05 18:54 Scott Hofmann
       [not found] ` <x7pvnb8pro.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Scott Hofmann @ 1997-12-05 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I collect my news from two nntp servers, one of which requires a login and
password. Everything works if I set my nntp-server-opened-hook to
nntp-send-nosy-authinfo, but I still get asked for a username and password for
the insecure server. Is there a way I can configure gnus to ask for a username
and password for the secure server only? Thanks,

scott

--
J. Scott Hofmann
shofmann@intertv.com

* Re: multiple nntp servers
       [not found] ` <x7pvnb8pro.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1997-12-05 21:20   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-12-05 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
[... defvoo bashing ...]

 \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
  \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover
   \ head.

Oh come on, `defvoo' can't be *that* bad.  ;-)

<ducking under the table>

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: multiple nntp servers
       [not found] ` <x7pvnb8pro.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1997-12-06 19:19   ` Harald Meland
From: Harald Meland @ 1997-12-06 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Stainless Steel Rat]

| SH> I collect my news from two nntp servers, one of which requires a login
| SH> and password. Everything works if I set my nntp-server-opened-hook to
| SH> nntp-send-nosy-authinfo, but I still get asked for a username and
| SH> password for the insecure server. Is there a way I can configure gnus
| SH> to ask for a username and password for the secure server only? Thanks,

[...]

| The hack answer is: change the "defvoo" in nntp.el to "defvar".

I disagree -- you should be able to hack your troubles away without
resorting to changing the distributed source, e.g. by using something
like this (which doesn't do exactly what Scott asked for, but easily
could be adapted to do so):

(add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook 'harald-send-nntp-authinfo)
(defvar harald-nntp-authinfo-file "~/.my-nntp-authinfo"
  "The file containing my NNTP usernames and passwords.
The file shares its format with \"~/.netrc\".")
(defun harald-send-nntp-authinfo ()
  (if (file-exists-p harald-nntp-authinfo-file)
      (save-excursion
	(set-buffer (get-buffer-create " *nntp-authinfo*"))
	(buffer-disable-undo (current-buffer))
	(erase-buffer)
	(insert-file-contents harald-nntp-authinfo-file)
	(goto-char (point-min))
	(and (search-forward nntp-address nil t)
	     (re-search-forward
	      "login[ \t]+\\(\\S +\\)\\s +password[ \t]+\\(\\S +\\)"
	      nil t)
	     (let ((login (match-string 1))
		   (passwd (match-string 2)))
	       (nntp-send-command "^.*\r?\n" "AUTHINFO USER" login)
	       (nntp-send-command "^.*\r?\n" "AUTHINFO PASS" passwd)))
	(kill-buffer (current-buffer)))))

HTH,
--
Harald