* definition void `message-strip-special-text-properties' with attachments
@ 2002-11-16 20:50 clemens fischer
From: clemens fischer @ 2002-11-16 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

with an attachment in a buffer, i could normally hit RETURN on it to
get asked where i wanted to save it, but now i get an error:

[2. application/x-gunzip; log.gz]...

Symbol's function definition is void:message-strip-special-text-properties

i cannot find this symbol anywhere, but the problem is reproducable on
every non-inlined attachment.  i have to use X-m to get them saved.

this is a recent CVS gnus on a not X configured freebsd-emacs.

clemens

* Re: definition void `message-strip-special-text-properties' with attachments
@ 2002-11-16 21:40 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-16 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

clemens fischer <ino-qc@spotteswoode.de.eu.org> writes:

> with an attachment in a buffer, i could normally hit RETURN on it to
> get asked where i wanted to save it, but now i get an error:
>
> [2. application/x-gunzip; log.gz]...
>
> Symbol's function definition is void:message-strip-special-text-properties
>
> i cannot find this symbol anywhere, but the problem is reproducable on
> every non-inlined attachment.  i have to use X-m to get them saved.
>
> this is a recent CVS gnus on a not X configured freebsd-emacs.

What does rgrep say about this?  I get the following interesting
matches:

work/gnu/gnus/lisp/message.el:(defcustom message-strip-special-text-properties t
work/gnu/gnus/lisp/message.el:  (when (and message-strip-special-text-properties

Then there is a match in message.elc and one in ChangeLog.

kai

* Re: definition void `message-strip-special-text-properties' with attachments
@ 2002-11-17 19:32   ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-11-17 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann):

>> [2. application/x-gunzip; log.gz]...
>>
>> Symbol's function definition is void:message-strip-special-text-properties
>
> work/gnu/gnus/lisp/message.el:(defcustom message-strip-special-text-properties t
> work/gnu/gnus/lisp/message.el:  (when (and message-strip-special-text-properties

i get the same output, but this has nothing to do with a function,
it's a boolean flag, which i didn't change from it's default (true).

i bet i did try to obtain a stack backtrace, which i sent in in an
earlier message.  this is weird:  your post is present here, but none
of mine.

btw, what is rgrep?

@ 2002-11-17 19:55     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-17 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Grojohann):
>
>>> [2. application/x-gunzip; log.gz]...
>>>
>>> Symbol's function definition is void:message-strip-special-text-properties
>>
>> work/gnu/gnus/lisp/message.el:(defcustom message-strip-special-text-properties t
>> work/gnu/gnus/lisp/message.el:  (when (and message-strip-special-text-properties
>
> i get the same output, but this has nothing to do with a function,
> it's a boolean flag, which i didn't change from it's default (true).

That's right!  So nothing in Gnus can be calling this function.
Therefore, the problem must be somewhere else.

> i bet i did try to obtain a stack backtrace, which i sent in in an
> earlier message.

Don't remember a stacktrace.

> this is weird:  your post is present here, but none of mine.

Weird.

> btw, what is rgrep?

GNU grep supports recursively searching directories.  You can do
"grep -r" to do this, I think.  If invoked as "rgrep", GNU grep does
like "grep -r".

kai

* Re: definition void `message-strip-special-text-properties' with attachments
@ 2002-11-18 22:59       ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-11-18 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann):

> That's right!  So nothing in Gnus can be calling this function.
> Therefore, the problem must be somewhere else.

so here goes.  with an attachment displayed like:

[2. image/gif; gehoer-ears.gif]...  pressing RETURN on it gives:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function message-strip-special-text-properties)
  message-strip-special-text-properties("gehoer-ears.gif")

  gnus-map-function((mm-file-name-trim-whitespace
                     mm-file-name-collapse-whitespace
                     mm-file-name-replace-whitespace
                     message-strip-special-text-properties t)
                    "gehoer-ears.gif")

  mm-display-external((#<buffer *mm*<3>> ("image/gif") base64 nil
              ("attachment" (filename . "gehoer-ears.gif")) nil nil nil)
              "showpicture %s")

  mm-display-part((#<buffer *mm*<3>> ("image/gif") base64 nil
          ("attachment" (filename . "gehoer-ears.gif")) nil nil nil))

  gnus-mm-display-part((#<buffer *mm*<3>> ("image/gif") base64 nil
          ("attachment" (filename . "gehoer-ears.gif")) nil nil nil))

  gnus-article-press-button()

  call-interactively(gnus-article-press-button)

showpicture(1) is installed.  where does gnus-map-function get this
bull from?

(  aheam.  from my .emacs.  all the time i even glimpsed for this, but
   i didn't look into my own fschck' dot-emacs!!)

ok.  haul in the bloodhounds.  search is off for the night.  uhm.
getting cold these days ...

>> this is weird:  your post is present here, but none of mine.
>
> Weird.

i found two old postings, but miss a recent one.  dunno.

> GNU grep supports recursively searching directories.  You can do
> "grep -r" to do this, I think.  If invoked as "rgrep", GNU grep does
> like "grep -r".

and all those years i did "grep -r" ...

@ 2002-11-20  1:09         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2002-11-20  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function message-strip-special-text-properties)
>   message-strip-special-text-properties("gehoer-ears.gif")

>   gnus-map-function((mm-file-name-trim-whitespace
>                      mm-file-name-collapse-whitespace
>                      mm-file-name-replace-whitespace
>                      message-strip-special-text-properties t)
>                     "gehoer-ears.gif")

Isn't the following form in your .gnus file?

(setq mm-file-name-rewrite-functions
      '(mm-file-name-trim-whitespace
	mm-file-name-collapse-whitespace
	mm-file-name-replace-whitespace
	message-strip-special-text-properties t))

If so, didn't it originally mean the following?

(setq mm-file-name-rewrite-functions
      '(mm-file-name-trim-whitespace
	mm-file-name-collapse-whitespace
	mm-file-name-replace-whitespace)
      message-strip-special-text-properties t)

Since m-s-s-t-p's value is t by default, you don't need to
bother to specify it.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: definition void `message-strip-special-text-properties' with attachments
@ 2002-11-20 20:50           ` Clemens Fischer
From: Clemens Fischer @ 2002-11-20 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>:

> If so, didn't it originally mean the following?
>
> (setq mm-file-name-rewrite-functions
>       '(mm-file-name-trim-whitespace
> 	mm-file-name-collapse-whitespace
> 	mm-file-name-replace-whitespace)
>       message-strip-special-text-properties t)

this was indeed so, and i posted it together with the backtrace:

,----
| Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.ding
| Subject: Re: definition void `message-strip-special-text-properties'
| with
|  attachments
| From: Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com>
| Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:59:40 +0100
`----

i did not find this article when i entered gmane.emacs.ding from
gnus.  did the article make it or not?  what could be the reason for
not finding my own articles when leafnode seems to be innocent?

clemens