* 3D instead of `='
@ 2002-06-23  3:57 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-06-23  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Certain mail I get displays 3D instead of `='.  I recall something
about this being related to old fashioned mail encoding/decoding or
the like but have forgotten the particulars.

At any rate, it hasn't cropped up for a very long time.  But I get
some messages on a mail list, from a  specific poster that contain
them.

Apparently this is happening somewhere before it gets to me.  Can
anyone tell from the full headers and trimmed message why these
particular messages have this problem?

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:07:38 -0500
From: David T-G <davidtg-perl-beginners@justpickone.org>
To: perl beginners <beginners@perl.org>
Cc: some address
Subject: Re: flatfile to hash

[The 3D's appearing below are actually `=' in other posts on this
thread]

[...]
Is there a particular reason you suck the whole file into an array before
turning around and spitting the whole thing into a hash?

%20
% foreach (@vs){
% ($name,$value) 3D split(/3D/,$_);
% $sigs{$name}3D$value;}

If this is too slow (particularly if you can get rid of the array suck
step above), you might try manipulating the file itself, which is very
close to a hash declaration of

  %sigs 3D
  {
    $name 3D> $value
  }

* Re: 3D instead of `='
@ 2002-06-23 10:57 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-23 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Certain mail I get displays 3D instead of `='.  I recall something
> about this being related to old fashioned mail encoding/decoding or
> the like but have forgotten the particulars.

It is quoted-printable.  The message you forwarded was
multipart/signed, and the message part inside those must be in 7bit
format, so QP is often used.

> Apparently this is happening somewhere before it gets to me.  Can
> anyone tell from the full headers and trimmed message why these
> particular messages have this problem?

Did the MIME body header include the proper Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable?

* Re: 3D instead of `='
@ 2002-06-23 16:04   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-06-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Certain mail I get displays 3D instead of `='.  I recall something
>> about this being related to old fashioned mail encoding/decoding or
>> the like but have forgotten the particulars.
>
> It is quoted-printable.  The message you forwarded was
> multipart/signed, and the message part inside those must be in 7bit
> format, so QP is often used.
>
>> Apparently this is happening somewhere before it gets to me.  Can
>> anyone tell from the full headers and trimmed message why these
>> particular messages have this problem?
>
> Did the MIME body header include the proper Content-Transfer-Encoding:
> quoted-printable?

INcluded below is full headers and body.  Interesting that a `t' on
this message doesn't show the part you asked about. Only C-u g does.
But it looks as if the Transfer Encoding is correct:

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:07:38 -0500
From: David T-G <davidtg-perl-beginners@justpickone.org>
To: perl beginners <beginners@perl.org>
Cc: zentara <zentara@highstream.net>

--ogUXNSQj4OI1q3LQ

zentara --

2E..and then zentara said...
%20
% Hi,

Hello!

% I'm looking for some clever tricks to get a file
% into hash values.
%20
% The file looks like this.
%20
% 10 past 3 (B)3Dec020e1ff3a4b82125061fbab300cd21
% 10 past 3 (C)3Db840008ed8a11300b106d3e02d00088e
2E..
%20
% I've been using:
%20
% <code>
2E..
% open (VS,"< vs") or die "Cant open signature file", $!; 20
% @vs 3D <VS>;
% chomp @vs;
% close VS;

Is there a particular reason you suck the whole file into an array before
turning around and spitting the whole thing into a hash?

%20
% foreach (@vs){
% ($name,$value) 3D split(/3D/,$_);
% $sigs{$name}3D$value;}

If this is too slow (particularly if you can get rid of the array suck
step above), you might try manipulating the file itself, which is very
close to a hash declaration of

  %sigs 3D
  {
    $name 3D> $value
  }

already (hmmm... should those be () istead of {}?).  Anyway, you could
preprocess your sig file into a perl file that you "require" at scan
runtime and thus only pre-handle it when you get a new sig, or maybe
just suck it in and eval that transformation every time.

Just some thoughts from a novice...  HTH & HAND

:-D
--20
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org

--ogUXNSQj4OI1q3LQ

--ogUXNSQj4OI1q3LQ--

* Re: 3D instead of `='
@ 2002-06-23 16:23   ` Raja R Harinath
From: Raja R Harinath @ 2002-06-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Certain mail I get displays 3D instead of `='.  I recall something
>> about this being related to old fashioned mail encoding/decoding or
>> the like but have forgotten the particulars.
>
> It is quoted-printable.  The message you forwarded was
> multipart/signed, and the message part inside those must be in 7bit
> format, so QP is often used.

Actually it isn't :-)  The QP mangled form of '=' is '=3D', not '3D'
which the message showed.

>> Apparently this is happening somewhere before it gets to me.  Can
>> anyone tell from the full headers and trimmed message why these
>> particular messages have this problem?
>
> Did the MIME body header include the proper Content-Transfer-Encoding:
> quoted-printable?

Looks like a terminally broken QP encoder.

- Hari

* Re: 3D instead of `='
@ 2002-06-23 17:04     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-06-23 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> Actually it isn't :-)  The QP mangled form of '=' is '3D', not '3D'
> which the message showed.

Those two look indentical here..

* Re: 3D instead of `='
@ 2002-06-23 17:39       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-06-23 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:
>
>> Actually it isn't :-)  The QP mangled form of '=' is '3D', not '3D'
>> which the message showed.
>
> Those two look indentical here..

The right form is an equals sign, followed by a three, followed by a
capital d.  The wrong form is missing the equals sign.

Your Gnus seems to delete the equals signs...

kai

* Re: 3D instead of `='
@ 2002-06-23 20:39         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-06-23 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 632 bytes --]

>> Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Actually it isn't :-)  The QP mangled form of '=' is '3D', not '3D'
>>> which the message showed.
>>
>> Those two look indentical here..
>
> The right form is an equals sign, followed by a three, followed by a
> capital d.  The wrong form is missing the equals sign.
>
> Your Gnus seems to delete the equals signs...

Viewing the above referenced message with C-u g doesn't help either.
I still see '=' is '3D, not '3D'

What might be causing this strange behavior?

* Re: 3D instead of `='
@ 2002-06-24  1:33         ` Raja R Harinath
From: Raja R Harinath @ 2002-06-24  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Actually it isn't :-)  The QP mangled form of '=' is '3D', not '3D'
>>> which the message showed.
>>
>> Those two look indentical here..
>
> The right form is an equals sign, followed by a three, followed by a
> capital d.  The wrong form is missing the equals sign.
>
> Your Gnus seems to delete the equals signs...

Mine seems to be deleting it too.

- Hari