* Gnus Supression: gnus-dup.el too aggressive?
@ 1996-09-13 18:55 Raja R Harinath
From: Raja R Harinath @ 1996-09-13 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have `gnus-supress-duplicates', and `gnus-save-duplicates-list'.  The
problem is that it supresses articles in most nndoc generated digests
group (C-d).  I figured out why: Gnus allots a emacs-session-time unique
id to each message without an id, "none+nnn".  This ID gets saved in the
duplicates list across Emacsen and wrongly supresses most of newly
generated temporary articles.

This has to be fixed.  But how:

- should `gnus-dup' know about these message-ids, and ignore them.  And,
  which regexp to use: "\`none\+[^@]*\'" looks nice, is correct for mail
  and "almost" correct for news.

- should Gnus maintain a dont-bother-saving list of message-ids.  Looks
  too heavyweight to me.

By the way, in `gnus-dup-enter-articles', message-ids should probably be
checked if already in the list (intern-soft message-id gnus-dup-hashtb)
before entering into the `gnus-dup-list'.  This prevents duplicates in
the duplicates list.

- Hari

* Re: Gnus Supression: gnus-dup.el too aggressive?
@ 1996-09-18  1:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-09-18  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> I have `gnus-supress-duplicates', and `gnus-save-duplicates-list'.  The
> problem is that it supresses articles in most nndoc generated digests
> group (C-d).  I figured out why: Gnus allots a emacs-session-time unique
> id to each message without an id, "none+nnn".  This ID gets saved in the
> duplicates list across Emacsen and wrongly supresses most of newly
> generated temporary articles.

Right.  I think nndoc should create better Message-IDs.  I've put this
on the Red Gnus todo list.

> By the way, in `gnus-dup-enter-articles', message-ids should probably be
> checked if already in the list (intern-soft message-id gnus-dup-hashtb)
> before entering into the `gnus-dup-list'.  This prevents duplicates in
> the duplicates list.

:-)  Fix in Red Gnus v0.38.