* [Announce] New Gnus resources site: http://my.gnus.org
@ 2001-04-16 21:51 Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 2001-04-16 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Gnus Users,

Subject says all. We thought that a good way of showing our appreciation
for all the hard work that went into Gnus by would be by doing our best
to make Gnus more popular. So we've done 3 things:

* We've set up http://my.gnus.org/ with all the modern bells and whistles
  like web forums, news channel, screenshot galleries, ratable links, and
  all the other stuff noone really needs but kids like to oogle.

* We've set up us.cvs.gnus.org. my.gnus.org being an OpenBSD machine, we did
  what Real Men(tm) are supposed to do: anoncvs via ssh. The instructions
  can be found on my.gnus.org, look for "anoncvs set up". A cvsweb is
  available at http://my.gnus.org/cvsweb/gnus/.

* Last, we have given the Gnus Tutorial Project a new home at
  http://mwiehl.socha.net/Gnus/tutorial/, soon to be
  like this: mail gnus-tutorial-subscribe@my.gnus.org < /dev/null

Kudos to Matthias Wiehl, Raymond Scholz, Kai Großjohann and Alexander
Reinwarth for helping set this up. Thanks to Jason R. Mastaler for
setting up the DNS.

Comments and criticism welcome. The colors don't work 100%, this is being
worked on. And don't even dream of visiting the site with lynx. w3m is
fine, though :-) We hope you'll still enjoy the site. Please kick it till
it bleeds.

Robin
--
Robin S. Socha, Bastard Consultant From Hell <http://socha.net/>

* Re: [Announce] New Gnus resources site: http://my.gnus.org
@ 2001-04-17 15:25 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-04-17 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> Comments and criticism welcome.

It looks like something one ought to be able to read with nnslashdot,
so I tried

        B nnslashdot <ret> my.gnus.org <ret>

All I got was a list of ancient slashdot articles.

* Re: [Announce] New Gnus resources site: http://my.gnus.org
@ 2001-04-18 18:46   ` Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 2001-04-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
> "Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:
>> Comments and criticism welcome.

> It looks like something one ought to be able to read with nnslashdot,
> so I tried

>         B nnslashdot <ret> my.gnus.org <ret>

> All I got was a list of ancient slashdot articles.

Indeed, indeed. I just checked: slashdot uses an xml file whose format
is different from the ultramode.txt or the backend.php file my.gnus.org
uses.

Example:

,----[ slashdot.xml ]

`----

,----[ backend.php ]

`----

,----[ ultramode.txt ]
| %%
| Screenshot Facility up
| /article.php?sid=3
| 2001-04-16 05:01:34
| robin
| The Gnus Newsreader
| 0
| gnus.gif
`----

Other differences that leap to my eye:

,----
`----

http://my.gnus.org/search.php?query=&topic=29 ?

,----
`----

http://my.gnus.org/article.php?thold=0&mode=flat&order=0&sid=13 ?

,----
`----

http://my.gnus.org/article.php?mode=nocomments&sid=13

,----
| (defvoo nnslashdot-backslash-url "http://slashdot.org/slashdot.xml"
|   "Where nnslashdot will fetch the stories from.")
`----

http://my.gnus.org/backend.php

Funnily enough, there are quite a few Nuke sites out there, so this
backend would actually make sense. IIRC, bbCode uses the same backend.
--
Robin S. Socha
http://my.gnus.org/ - To boldly frobnicate what no newbie has grokked before.