From: "Dewey M. Sasser" <dewey@newvision.com>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Splitting of ding@ifi
Date: 03 Apr 1997 10:48:32 -0800	[thread overview]

    HN> This isn't really relevant to the list (well, partially), but
    HN> how do you people split the messages meant for this list?  I
    HN> mean, it doesn't seem to come with a handy header like
    HN> `X-Mailing-List', and it leaves the `Sender' intact.

    HN> Currently, my fancy mail splitting entry for ding list looks
    HN> like this:

    HN>      ("received" "ding@ifi" "ding.discuss")

I wrote a package called "mailsplit" (see below) to turn my
specifications into splits.  I write:

   ("gnus-development"      :regexp "\\(ding@ifi.uio.no\\|ding@gnus.org\\)"
                            :mail-address "ding")

It writes (fancy mail splitting, of course):

(|
  (direct "\\(ding@ifi.uio.no\\|ding@gnus.org\\)"
     "Mail.mailing-lists.gnus-development")
  ("sender" "owner-ding" "Mail.mailing-lists.gnus-development")
  ("to" "ding-outgoing" "Mail.mailing-lists.gnus-development"))

Where direct is defined with:

(prepend-to-list-unique nnmail-split-abbrev-alist
			'(direct . "to\\|cc\\|apparently-to"))

(`prepend-to-list-unique' is my own creation.)

That "to" "ding-outgoing" line is because I'm on some lists where an
automatic tool sends directly to the "outgoing" aliases.  (It's not
nice, but it allows sendmail to suppress duplicates for those poor
slobs who aren't using GNUS.)

The "sender" "owner-ding" is because I'm on a list that will
occasionally get a message with no evident direction to the list.
Someone BCC's it, probably.

Incidentally, I haven't yet released mailsplit because of lack of time
(or rather, other things to do), but if someone wants it, email me.

[...]

--
Dewey M. Sasser 			voice: (617) 494-6000
dewey@newvision.com                     PGP Key from public servers