* dms-sig.el update with large new features
@ 1997-04-03  0:39 Dewey M. Sasser
From: Dewey M. Sasser @ 1997-04-03  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just released the latest version of my multiple signature /
random quote insertion package.

It's available on the newsgroup gnu.emacs.sources and directly from me
by request.

This is, by the way, the last announcement I'll make re this package
to the ding list because I've decided it's not appropriate to this
list (even though no one said anything last time).  Anyone who is
interested in further developments on this package should either read
gnu.emacs.sources, or better yet send me some email telling me to
include you in the announcements, or both.

Here are selected pieces of the header:

 Features

   o Allows specification of arbitrary number of signatures, each
     named by a symbol and defined by the contents of either a file
     or a string
   o Allows specification of quote methods for each of these
     signatures.  Quotes can be developed either by random
     selection from a quote file, running an external program or
     running an emacs lisp function
   o Allows automatic selection of signature based on regular
     expression match on the "To:" mail field or the GNUS
     newsgroup.  This automatic selection can be bypassed with a
     prefix-argument
   o Works in mail-mode and message-mode (and should work in any
     mode)

 Commentary

   Briefly, this package is designed to be a drop in replacement
   for the default emacs signatures.  You should be able to just
   (require 'dms-sig) and go, and extend it as and when you want.
   If you can't just use with it, please send a bug report and tell
   me what happened (see the section on Bugs).

   This package gives you, instead of one signature, an arbitrary
   number of signature each named by a symbol.  You also associate
   signature symbol names with signature files (or strings) and
   options.  Currently, options supported are only whether or not
   to include a random quote, and which method to use to include
   that quote.

   To extend it, check out the variables
   `dms-signature-to-name-map', where you can specify regexps that
   match against the "to" filed, and also
   `dms-signature-to-groupname-map', to match against the
   "newsgroup" field when posting news (or reading mail with
   GNUS).  (And see the "Sample Setup" section in this header.)

   To use automatic random quote insertion, set
   `dms-signature-use-quotes' to t (it uses a random quote from
   "~/.quotes" by default).  Also, check out the variable
   `dms-signature-quote-methods'.  Like signatures, quote methods
   are named (therefore arbitrary signatures can use arbitrary
   quote methods)

   By the way, if you drop me a note
   (mailto:dms-signature-maintainer@newvision.com) and tell me
   you're using this package, not only will it make me feel good,
   but I'll send you mail whenever I release a new version (BBDB
   makes that easy).

 New Features

   o Calling programs or functions to get the appropriate quote
   o insert signature at point if prefix arg is negative
   o Remembers where the previous signature was inserted so that
     the old signature can be deleted even if it occurs in the
     middle of the buffer
   o Supplies default when prompting for signature if inserting
     signature at point

--
Dewey M. Sasser 			voice: (617) 494-6000
dewey@newvision.com                     PGP Key from public servers

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-04-03  0:39 UTC | newest]