From: Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr>
Subject: Re: Face header ugly
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:25:44 +0100	[thread overview]

> On Tue, Nov 08 2005, Zlatko Calusic wrote:
>
>> As you can see from the headers of this email, my Face header looks
>> pretty ugly if you're looking at it on the standard 80-column display.
> [...]
>> And in the line (insert "\n "), there is definitely a space, not tab
>> (checked with C-u C-x =). So, now I'm very confused...
>>
>> Who or what and why is messing with my face??? :)
>
> I'd guess that some MTA along the way changes SPC to TAB.
> It doesn't happen for other users, see e.g. <87u0eqg9zu.fsf@pdrechsler.de>,
> <muxu0estyu8.fsf@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr> or <m3acgm6l58.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>.

Hey, Reiner, thanks for the detective work. You might be onto
something here, because it's obvious other people with similar setup
don't get in trouble.

But, I'm still not convinced.

a) it crossed my mind that MTA could have something to do with it, but
   I dismissed the idea because it would be very intrusive behaviour
   of MTA, I think.
   Also, email from other people with Face header comes unmodified,
   wouldn't MTA mess with them, too? It is not confirmed, of course,
   but I'm at the moment not in favour of blaming MTA. Maybe I'll make
   a simple test this evening to assure (or not) that MTA is to blame.

b) Without conducting a thorough test, I went to check a simple thing:
   arhived sent email (through Gcc:), and it also has tabs instead of
   spaces. I'm pretty sure such saved articles don't go through MTA.

To conclude it all, it seems that something in Gnus munges with
already prepared headers, but before the message is sent on. I don't
know why other people doesn't have the same problem, maybe they're
using different kind of face setup than me?! Or it could be that
debian maintainer modified package in some way, that's still pending
to be checked. I'm using this snippet to create the face header:

(setq message-hidden-headers "^Face:")
(add-to-list 'message-required-headers
             '(Face . (lambda ()
                         (gnus-convert-png-to-face
             "~/.emacs.d/face.png")))
                          'append)

I'll figure out how to 100% ascertain that MTA is not a problem and
report results to the list...

Regards,
--
Zlatko