* Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 12:56 Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2005-11-08 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

As you can see from the headers of this email, my Face header looks
pretty ugly if you're looking at it on the standard 80-column display.

It seems that the problem comes from the fact that the continuation
lines use tabs at the beggining of the continuation lines instead of
spaces (so the lines end up being more that 80 characters long and
wrap).

So I went digging the source and found the function that encodes face
header which is:

(defun gnus-face-encode ()
  (let ((step 72))
    (base64-encode-region (point-min) (point-max))
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (search-forward "\n" nil t)
      (replace-match ""))
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (> (- (point-max) (point))
	      step)
      (forward-char step)
      (insert "\n ")
      (setq step 76))
    (buffer-string)))

That is from gnus debian unstable package (strangely named
5.10.6-1.NO.20051020-1). And in the line (insert "\n "), there is
definitely a space, not tab (checked with C-u C-x =). So, now I'm very
confused...

Who or what and why is messing with my face??? :)
--
Zlatko

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 14:47 ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2005-11-08 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:

> As you can see from the headers of this email, my Face header looks
> pretty ugly if you're looking at it on the standard 80-column display.

Looks fine here! :-)

Glyn

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 15:08 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-11-08 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 08 2005, Zlatko Calusic wrote:

> As you can see from the headers of this email, my Face header looks
> pretty ugly if you're looking at it on the standard 80-column display.
[...]
> And in the line (insert "\n "), there is definitely a space, not tab
> (checked with C-u C-x =). So, now I'm very confused...
>
> Who or what and why is messing with my face??? :)

I'd guess that some MTA along the way changes SPC to TAB.
It doesn't happen for other users, see e.g. <87u0eqg9zu.fsf@pdrechsler.de>,
<muxu0estyu8.fsf@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr> or <m3acgm6l58.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 19:25   ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2005-11-08 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, Nov 08 2005, Zlatko Calusic wrote:
>
>> As you can see from the headers of this email, my Face header looks
>> pretty ugly if you're looking at it on the standard 80-column display.
> [...]
>> And in the line (insert "\n "), there is definitely a space, not tab
>> (checked with C-u C-x =). So, now I'm very confused...
>>
>> Who or what and why is messing with my face??? :)
>
> I'd guess that some MTA along the way changes SPC to TAB.
> It doesn't happen for other users, see e.g. <87u0eqg9zu.fsf@pdrechsler.de>,
> <muxu0estyu8.fsf@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr> or <m3acgm6l58.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>.

Hey, Reiner, thanks for the detective work. You might be onto
something here, because it's obvious other people with similar setup
don't get in trouble.

But, I'm still not convinced.

a) it crossed my mind that MTA could have something to do with it, but
   I dismissed the idea because it would be very intrusive behaviour
   of MTA, I think.
   Also, email from other people with Face header comes unmodified,
   wouldn't MTA mess with them, too? It is not confirmed, of course,
   but I'm at the moment not in favour of blaming MTA. Maybe I'll make
   a simple test this evening to assure (or not) that MTA is to blame.

b) Without conducting a thorough test, I went to check a simple thing:
   arhived sent email (through Gcc:), and it also has tabs instead of
   spaces. I'm pretty sure such saved articles don't go through MTA.

To conclude it all, it seems that something in Gnus munges with
already prepared headers, but before the message is sent on. I don't
know why other people doesn't have the same problem, maybe they're
using different kind of face setup than me?! Or it could be that
debian maintainer modified package in some way, that's still pending
to be checked. I'm using this snippet to create the face header:

(setq message-hidden-headers "^Face:")
(add-to-list 'message-required-headers
             '(Face . (lambda ()
                         (gnus-convert-png-to-face
             "~/.emacs.d/face.png")))
                          'append)

I'll figure out how to 100% ascertain that MTA is not a problem and
report results to the list...

Regards,
--
Zlatko

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 19:39   ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2005-11-08 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:
>
>> As you can see from the headers of this email, my Face header looks
>> pretty ugly if you're looking at it on the standard 80-column display.
>
> Looks fine here! :-)

I don't know, the face might be a bit less ugly (especially when
squeezed to 48x48 :)), but it's the ugliness of the raw headers that
I'm concerned about.

I don't allow even such a cosmetic bug in the world's most capable
mail/news/whatnot reader! :)
--
Zlatko

P.S. But thanks for the comment anyway, I spent more than 2 hours
     making and tweaking that small face and it better look good. :)

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 21:33       ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2005-11-08 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:
>
>> Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

>>> Looks fine here! :-)
>>>

>> I don't know, the face might be a bit less ugly (especially when
>> squeezed to 48x48 :)), but it's the ugliness of the raw headers that
>> I'm concerned about.
>
> Well even that looks OK here - I press t and I see a nicely wrapped block
> of header information

On a standard 80 column display?
--
Zlatko

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 21:33     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2005-11-08 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:

> Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:
>
>> Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:
>>
>>> As you can see from the headers of this email, my Face header looks
>>> pretty ugly if you're looking at it on the standard 80-column display.
>>
>> Looks fine here! :-)
>>

> I don't know, the face might be a bit less ugly (especially when
> squeezed to 48x48 :)), but it's the ugliness of the raw headers that
> I'm concerned about.

Well even that looks OK here - I press t and I see a nicely wrapped block
of header information

> I don't allow even such a cosmetic bug in the world's most capable
> mail/news/whatnot reader! :)

That has to be a good principle :-)

atb

Glyn

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 21:48     ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2005-11-08 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:

>    but I'm at the moment not in favour of blaming MTA. Maybe I'll make
>    a simple test this evening to assure (or not) that MTA is to blame.

OK, this is my sendmail program:

#! /bin/sh
cat > /tmp/message.$$
exit 0

Sends all mail to /tmp, but works. What I found after I had sent a
test message:

Subject: Test
VCKX
        uRt1BJfVEhi0yxiwqTuh1VrbU7nkEi7rqLxMuzQB1UhcqFQFc0PrhLRxmYamSu6lbJUmmh+F
02nE

... and so on. I cut & pasted it from the xterm, what is in front of
the continuation lines is in fact one character - TAB.

So, MTA is definitely not to be blamed, Gnus sent the message with
tabs instead of spaces.

What next? How come only I have this (admitedly cosmetic) problem? :(
--
Zlatko

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 23:01       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-11-08 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So, MTA is definitely not to be blamed, Gnus sent the message with
> tabs instead of spaces.

> What next? How come only I have this (admitedly cosmetic) problem? :(

How about this?

(push '(Face ignore) message-field-fillers)

I saw message.el calls the `message-fill-field' function for the
headers inserted after typing `C-c C-c'.  This makes it do
nothing for the Face header.

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 23:02         ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2005-11-08 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:

> Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:
>
>> Zlatko Calusic <zlatko.calusic@iskon.hr> writes:

>>> I don't know, the face might be a bit less ugly (especially when
>>> squeezed to 48x48 :)), but it's the ugliness of the raw headers that
>>> I'm concerned about.
>>
>> Well even that looks OK here - I press t and I see a nicely wrapped block
>> of header information
>
> On a standard 80 column display?

Ah - sorry, no!

atb

Glyn

* Re: Face header ugly
@ 2005-11-08 23:54         ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2005-11-08 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> So, MTA is definitely not to be blamed, Gnus sent the message with
>> tabs instead of spaces.
>
>> What next? How come only I have this (admitedly cosmetic) problem? :(
>
> How about this?
>
> (push '(Face ignore) message-field-fillers)
>
> I saw message.el calls the `message-fill-field' function for the
> headers inserted after typing `C-c C-c'.  This makes it do
> nothing for the Face header.

Wow, this definitely solves it very neatly. I won't pretend I
understand all the black magic you've done, I'm just glad there's a
oneliner for my case. :)

Thanks, Katsumi!
--
Zlatko