* more agent problems
@ 2002-07-09  8:21 NAGY Andras
From: NAGY Andras @ 2002-07-09  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

My non-agentized nnml backend does not get new mail when the agent is
offline.

,----[ .gnus ]
| ;; --------------------------------------------------------------------
| ;; Select methods
| ;; --------------------------------------------------------------------
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))
|
| (setq nnmail-message-id-cache-file "~/gnus/.nnmail-cache")
| (setq nnmail-message-id-cache-length 10000)
| (setq nnmail-cache-accepted-message-ids t)
|
| (setq mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/gnus/incoming/")))
| (setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)
|
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
|       '((nnml "mail"
| 	      (nnml-directory "~/gnus/mail")
| 	      (nnml-active-file "~/gnus/mail/active")
| 	      (nnml-newsgroups-file "~/gnus/mail/active")
| 	      (nnml-get-new-mail t))
| 	(nntp "news"
| 	      (nntp-address "ludens.elte.hu"))))

`----

News/agent/lib/servers:
  ("nntp:news")

News/agent/lib/categories:
  ((default true nil nil))

The incoming dir has a message, the agent is unplugged and I press `g'
in the group buffer:

  Reading active file via nnnil...done
  Reading active file from mail via nnml...
  Opening nnml server on mail...done
  nnml: Reading incoming mail from maildir...
  nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
  Reading active file from mail via nnml...done
  Reading active file from news via nntp...
  Checking new news...done

I switch to plugged mode and press `1g' (so that the unavailable news
server which is agentized is not contacted):

  Checking new news...
  nnml: Reading incoming mail from maildir...
  Wrote /home/nagya/gnus/mail/mail/misc/2121
  nnml: Reading incoming mail (1 new)...done
  Checking new news...done

Andras

* Re: more agent problems
@ 2002-07-09  8:31 ` NAGY Andras
From: NAGY Andras @ 2002-07-09  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 09 Jul 2002, at 10:21, NAGY Andras <nagya@inf.elte.hu> wrote:

> My non-agentized nnml backend does not get new mail when the agent is
> offline.

Furthermore, it does not send normal mail, but instead stores it in
the `queue' group, when unplugged.

Okay, this behaviour conforms to the docs :-), but I think it would be
more intuitive and useful if only the outgoing transport mechanisms
covered by the agentized servers would be covered by the agent.  Hm?

Maybe I should stay `Plugged' all the time and switch only certain
servers to `offline' mode.

Andras

* Re: more agent problems
@ 2002-07-09 12:23 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-09 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

NAGY Andras <nagya@inf.elte.hu> writes:

> | (setq mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/gnus/incoming/")))

See the ":plugged" keyword in the documentation.

kai

* Re: more agent problems
@ 2002-07-09 13:41   ` NAGY Andras
From: NAGY Andras @ 2002-07-09 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 09 Jul 2002, at 14:23, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

>> | (setq mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/gnus/incoming/")))
>
> See the ":plugged" keyword in the documentation.

Aiee, thanks!  Remaining plugged all the time and only tagging certain
servers as offline seems to be a better idea for my setup, though.

Andras