* Gnus error when updating groups
@ 2001-05-02 18:05 Henrik Hansen
From: Henrik Hansen @ 2001-05-02 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I get an error once in a while when hitting 'g' in rge group buffer
for getting new mail and news, the error is:

wrong-type-argument stringp nil

I made a debug-on-error t and reproduced the error:

Signaling: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  format(nil)
  apply(format nil)
  error(nil)
  nntp-retrieve-groups(("gnu.emacs.help" "gnu.emacs.sources" "alt.religion.emacs" "gnu.emacs" "alt.php" "gnu.emacs.gnus" "dk.edb.internet.webdesign.serverside" "dk.edb.internet.webdesign.serverside.php" "comp.emacs" "dk.marked.privat.edb") "news.worldonline.dk")
  gnus-retrieve-groups(("gnu.emacs.help" "gnu.emacs.sources" "alt.religion.emacs" "gnu.emacs" "alt.php" "gnu.emacs.gnus" "dk.edb.internet.webdesign.serverside" "dk.edb.internet.webdesign.serverside.php" "comp.emacs" "dk.marked.privat.edb") (nntp "news.worldonline.dk"))
  gnus-read-active-file-2(("gnu.emacs.help" "gnu.emacs.sources" "alt.religion.emacs" "gnu.emacs" "alt.php" "gnu.emacs.gnus" "dk.edb.internet.webdesign.serverside" "dk.edb.internet.webdesign.serverside.php" "comp.emacs" "dk.marked.privat.edb") (nntp "news.worldonline.dk"))
  gnus-get-unread-articles(nil)
  gnus-group-get-new-news(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-get-new-news)

I use cvs gnus, and updated yesterday evening, i still get the error,
you know of this error or a fix?

Do you need more information?

--
Henrik Hansen

* Re: Gnus error when updating groups
@ 2001-05-02 18:14 ` Roland Mas
From: Roland Mas @ 2001-05-02 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Hansen (2001-05-02 20:05:08 +0200) :

> I get an error once in a while when hitting 'g' in rge group buffer
> for getting new mail and news, the error is:
>
> wrong-type-argument stringp nil

I get the same one.  I'm beginning to wonder if there could be
something related to a firewall with that.  I know my firewall
silently drops connections after a moment of inactivity, but I'm not
sure it's related.

  Hoping this will help...

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Using a big hammer without caution can cause big damage.
  -- PostgreSQL documentation, chapter 42

* Re: Gnus error when updating groups
@ 2001-05-02 19:13   ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2001-05-02 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 Iyar 5761, Roland Mas wrote:

>> wrong-type-argument stringp nil
>
> I get the same one.  I'm beginning to wonder if there could be
> something related to a firewall with that.  I know my firewall
> silently drops connections after a moment of inactivity, but I'm not
> sure it's related.

I have gotten this regularly, both behind a firewall and not behind
one.
--
Charles Sebold
Random Answer to a Gnus Very Frequently Asked Question:

 -- Jonathan Swift

* Re: Gnus error when updating groups
@ 2001-05-02 19:49 ` Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2001-05-02 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Hansen <hh@mailserver.dk> writes:

> I use cvs gnus, and updated yesterday evening, i still get the
> error, you know of this error or a fix?

This looks like the exact same problem I posted about earlier - see

I believe ShengHuo checked in a fix yesterday...

* Re: Gnus error when updating groups
@ 2001-05-02 20:13   ` Henrik Hansen
From: Henrik Hansen @ 2001-05-02 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

 > Henrik Hansen <hh@mailserver.dk> writes:
 >
 > > I use cvs gnus, and updated yesterday evening, i still get the
 > > error, you know of this error or a fix?
 >
 > This looks like the exact same problem I posted about earlier - see
 >
 > I believe ShengHuo checked in a fix yesterday...

hmm Could be so, I have not gotten the error this evening, so untill i
get it again (if i get it) it's fixed :)

--
Henrik Hansen