From: Daiki Ueno <ueno@unixuser.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org, "Frank Küster" <frank@kuesterei.ch>
Subject: Re: default-enable-multibyte-characters in pgg-gpg
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:59:04 +0900	[thread overview]

Hello Reiner,

> > Setting default-enable-multibyte-characters in pgg-gpg-start-process
> > makes GnuPG messages unreadable under multibyte locales.
> >
> > I found the article which introduced this change:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/50457
> > I think this case is rare, and doubt that this really fixed the problem.

> At least Frank has confirmed that it does fix it for him in
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/50877>.  Could you
> suggest a better fix?  Maybe we could bind enable-multibyte-characters
> only in some of the callers of `pgg-gpg-start-process', where
> appropriate?

> > Could anyone who can use a German keyboard check the attached patch?

> As your patch just reverts this patch, I'd guess that it will
> reintroduce the problem the other patch tried to solve.

Ah, I understand why this was necessary at that time.

When the patch was introduced, pgg-gpg used synchronous code and sent
a passphrase together with data on a temp buffer:

(defun pgg-gpg-process-region (start end passphrase program args)
          (let ((coding-system-for-write 'binary)
                (input (buffer-substring-no-properties start end))
                (default-enable-multibyte-characters nil))
            (with-temp-buffer
              (when passphrase
                (insert passphrase "\n"))
              (insert input)
              (setq exit-status
                    (apply #'call-process-region (point-min) (point-max) program
                           nil errors-buffer nil args))))

So I think setting default-enable-multibyte-characters is no longer
necessary because we switched to use asynchronous code and passphrases
are sent separately.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno