From: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Syncing smtpmail.el and sendmail.el with Emacs (was: smtp send using odd port)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 07:45:22 +0900	[thread overview]

I wrote:
> On 2/9/06, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
> > > Could the emacs <-> gnus sync stuff handle this for us?
> >
> > Miles, WDYT?
>
> Sure.

Btw, to expand on that a bit:  it will automatically synchronize any
files which have the same "identity", as given by the files' arch-tag:
lines (so if you copy a file from Emacs to Gnus, they will obviously
be the same by default).

It occurs to me that there are several files already in gnus which are
in this state, which I've been intentionally keeping _out_ of sync --
that is, when the file gets changed in emacs, I revert the changes
after they get synced to Gnus -- in particular, contrib/xml.el.  The
reason I've beend doing that is because I was afraid that the Emacs
version of xml.el relied on Emacs-22-only interfaces, so it would be
safer to keep the old version originally in the Gnus tree (xml.el was
in contrib before I started syncing).  However maybe somebody with
more knowledge of xml.el could look at the issue and see whether it
would be possible to have the up-to-date Emacs version in the Gnus
5.10 branch as well.

Thanks,

-Miles
--