* merge maintenance
@ 2006-02-10  2:38 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-02-10  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

When you make a change like the following, could you send me email outlining
the issue?  This is so I know (1) how to deal with the problem in the future,
and (2) whether I should in fact change the Emacs code to match the gnus-5.10
code -- in general it's not a good idea to have the two code bases diverge
except where absolutely necessary (and hopefully where the reason is
obvious, e.g. the version numbers).

Thanks,

-Miles

2006-02-08  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>

	* rfc2231.el (rfc2231-parse-string): Sort segmented parameters;
	don't decode quoted parameters; remove misimported Emacs code.
	Suggested by ARISAWA Akihiro <ari@mbf.ocn.ne.jp>.
	(rfc2231-decode-encoded-string): Don't use split-string which
	behaves differently according to Emacs version; use
	mm-decode-coding-region to convert charset to coding-system.
	Suggested by ARISAWA Akihiro <ari@mbf.ocn.ne.jp>.
	(rfc2231-encode-string): Remove misimported Emacs code.

--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that

* Re: merge maintenance
@ 2006-02-10  3:54 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2006-02-10  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> When you make a change like the following, could you send me email outlining
> the issue?

I'm sorry not to have done so.

> This is so I know (1) how to deal with the problem in the future,
> and (2) whether I should in fact change the Emacs code to match the gnus-5.10
> code -- in general it's not a good idea to have the two code bases diverge
> except where absolutely necessary (and hopefully where the reason is
> obvious, e.g. the version numbers).

I see.  I thank very much for your work of every day.

> 2006-02-08  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>

> 	* rfc2231.el (rfc2231-parse-string): Sort segmented parameters;
> 	don't decode quoted parameters; remove misimported Emacs code.
> 	Suggested by ARISAWA Akihiro <ari@mbf.ocn.ne.jp>.
> 	(rfc2231-decode-encoded-string): Don't use split-string which
> 	behaves differently according to Emacs version; use
> 	mm-decode-coding-region to convert charset to coding-system.
> 	Suggested by ARISAWA Akihiro <ari@mbf.ocn.ne.jp>.
> 	(rfc2231-encode-string): Remove misimported Emacs code.

Those changes have been made so that the rfc2231 decoder might
work well with various MIME headers.  I've also made changes in
the encoder so as to generate headers in a good manner.  (The
former decoder violated some RFC2231 specifications, and the
former encoder sometimes generated ugly headers which violate
RFC822, etc.)  Those are bug fixes, so they should have been
done in both the trunk and the v5-10 branch.

Please note that ``Remove misimported Emacs code.'' means that
the codes I've already removed in the v5-10 branch was
re-imported from Emacs to the v5-10 branch.  I found such things
only in rfc2231.el so far.  When you synch Emacs to the v5-10
branch next, it might be better to wholly copy rfc2231.el from
the v5-10 branch to Emacs.

Best regards,

* Re: merge maintenance
@ 2006-02-10  9:23   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-02-10  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Thanks for the info; I've moved the gnu-5.10 changes to the Emacs tree.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.