* Sync Gnus and Emacs?
@ 2007-11-09 13:28 Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2007-11-09 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, Miles Bader

I just ran:

jas@mocca:~/src/emacs/lisp$ for file in `find . -type f | grep .el`; do if test -f ~/src/gnus/lisp/`basename $file`; then diff -ur $file ~/src/gnus/lisp/`basename $file`; fi; done|less

with up-to-date Emacs CVS and Gnus CVS directories.

The interesting differences are:

parse-time.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, changes seems insignificant
time-date.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, changes seems insignificant
dns-mode.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, changes seems insignificant
tls.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, but uses rx.el.  xemacs problem?
message.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, but uses rx.el.  xemacs problem?

I think with the exception of tls.el, we should simply copy the files
from emacs cvs into gnus cvs.  What do people think?  Miles, is your cvs
sync still running?  What do you think about pulling in these files from
emacs cvs into gnus cvs?

Other changes includes:

netrc.el: gnus-copy contains xemacs-specific code?
gnus.el: gnus cvs specific version changes

I wonder whether the Gnus CVS is still useful for developers, or whether
perhaps not all Gnus developers should simply become Emacs developers?
The Emacs<->Gnus CVS sync can continue to work for users.  Just an idea.

Thanks,
Simon

* Re: Sync Gnus and Emacs?
@ 2007-11-09 18:05 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-09 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Miles Bader

On Fri, Nov 09 2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> The interesting differences are:
>
> parse-time.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, changes seems insignificant
> time-date.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, changes seems insignificant
> dns-mode.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, changes seems insignificant
> tls.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, but uses rx.el.  xemacs problem?

The most recent change in Emacs removed rx.el again.  Will probably be
cleared by the next sync.

> message.el: newer copy in emacs cvs, but uses rx.el.  xemacs problem?

> I think with the exception of tls.el, we should simply copy the files
> from emacs cvs into gnus cvs.  What do people think?  Miles, is your cvs
> sync still running?

Miles is sync regularly (again), i.e. usually within a couple of days.

> What do you think about pulling in these files from emacs cvs into
> gnus cvs?

Apart from version numbers, the files are supposed to be identical, at
least for the files emacs/lisp/gnus/*.el.  For the files that
are/became general Emacs facilities it is possible that the Emacs
developers don't like to keep compatibility for Emacs 21 (and XEmacs
21.4) as we do for No Gnus.

> Other changes includes:
>
> netrc.el: gnus-copy contains xemacs-specific code?
> gnus.el: gnus cvs specific version changes
>
> I wonder whether the Gnus CVS is still useful for developers, or whether
> perhaps not all Gnus developers should simply become Emacs developers?

For Emacs-CVS, we need Richards approval, the developer has to create
a Savannah account and a second Emacs project admin (Eli, Miles,
Stefan, ...) has to give write permission.  For Gnus, it's only a mail
to Lars.

Probably developers using XEmacs won't like to check out Emacs CVS.
Before I started to work on the integration of Oort in Emacs, I didn't
use CVS-Emacs at all.

> The Emacs<->Gnus CVS sync can continue to work for users.  Just an idea.

Some pros for developing in Gnus CVS:

- In the past, Miles said that the direction Emacs->Gnus needs more
  attention.  I don't know if this has changed.  Miles?

- Updating, building and installing Gnus from CVS is much faster.  In
  Emacs, you need to update more or less the complete checkout because
  the files are spread over various directories.

- cvs.gnus.org is faster than savannah.gnu.org, at least for me.

- Since vc-annotate and vc-print-log are nicer in the primary
  repository (i.e. in Gnus), I prefer to do my check-ins there.

- In the Gnus repository we can be a little bit more experimental.  If
  a mistake in Gnus prevents building Emacs, a lot more people are
  disturbed.

- At some point (in the distant future ;-)) Emacs trunk will be in
  feature freeze.  During that time we might want to continue to
  develop Gnus.  Maybe not.

But if you (or other developers) prefer to commit in Emacs CVS, it's
fine with me.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Sync Gnus and Emacs?
@ 2007-11-09 18:35   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-11-09 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Miles Bader

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 19:05:48 +0100 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> - In the Gnus repository we can be a little bit more experimental.
RS> If a mistake in Gnus prevents building Emacs, a lot more people are
RS> disturbed.

RS> - At some point (in the distant future ;-)) Emacs trunk will be in
RS> feature freeze.  During that time we might want to continue to
RS> develop Gnus.  Maybe not.

Due to those two I would prefer to keep Gnus separate.

Ted

* Re: Sync Gnus and Emacs?
@ 2007-11-09 23:44   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-11-09 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib, ding, Miles Bader

On Nov 10, 2007 3:05 AM, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
> Apart from version numbers, the files are supposed to be identical, at
> least for the files emacs/lisp/gnus/*.el.

Yup, though it's possible for small changes to creep in (usually in
whitespace) due to the incremental nature of the updating combined
with conflict resolution.  Also, the files probably started out
different.

-Miles

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.